Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13
Author: Subject: LL8 from Dr. Liptakov
pjig
Hazard to Others

Mood: always learning

[*] posted on 29-4-2024 at 21:25

Thank you for such detailed information and pictures. I agree on the pursuit of the most powerful det cap is a waste of time. Its sol purpose is to initiate the secondary. Just add a booster if you want a stronger initiation. It’s hard to follow up with a response to the fine work you’ve done.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: old jew

[*] posted on 30-4-2024 at 03:01

Thanks. Basic detonator must penetrate 2 mm construction steel at 300mg ETN and 3 mm plate at 500mg ETN. Thats enough good for next
steps as is booster or using of else secondary EM. Nothing big science....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite and KC primer (2024)
dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2024 at 09:55

Concerning Lithex:

Having a large bottle HCLO4 sitting around this is intriguing...

If I may ask, is there already some experience on how small the DDT part can be?
Most system Bertha style detonators seem really big and preservation of raw materials is a thing to be considered.
I prefer 5 or 6mm inner diameter...

Has anybody tried to light such a cap with and ordinary fuse like bickford?
(My problem with CHP was it's inherent wetness. it often failed to light)

I like to ignite stuff the classic way wit fuses. This is often less reliable as with the typical very robust/powerful electrical setups Dr Liptakov prefers...

PS:
If I neutralise HCLO4 with lithium carbonate, is it sufficient to recrystalise the Perchlorate in water to get rid of acid trapped inside the crystals, or what is your preferred procedure?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2024 at 10:57

HClO4 was neutralized by LiOH to neutral solution and evaporate H2O to dry neutral crystalls LiClO4 x 3 H2O.
Carbonate was not tested.
CHP works as dry crystals in diameter 6/8 mm repeatedly from Bickford fuse.
Critical weight of CHP or Lithex was not tested. 300 mg is base for reliable DDT.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite and KC primer (2024)
dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-6-2024 at 07:20

Thank you. Well 300mg would be fine. I'm just thinking how long supplies typically last.

Do you somehow measure the temperature of your steel pan?
IR Termometers don't like shiny steel. On the other hand, just by gut-feeling it's easy to gravely misjudge the temperature.

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-6-2024 at 09:54

You mean for preparation anhydrous Lithex. Was used classic glass thermometer and his Hg end wrapped in aluminium foil half ball loaded with a suitable piece of lead on hot stainless surface....:cool:
(If the lead starts to melt while drying the Lithex, you quickly run away form lab)

dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-6-2024 at 06:33

Haha sure.
I'll see what happens, I just got some old steelpots from a fleamarket.

Thank you for the whole tread, since theres no thank-button :)

I think this tread should be chopped into Lithex and Brightelite ect, it's a bitch to read.

One more thought:
A finished cap containing Lithex will draw water and become dead over time.
Has anyone an idea how hygroscopic this stuff really is?

I mean, imagine the caps will be stored together with CaCl2. Can this be ultimatey contra productive, in the sense that the CaCl2 is dried by the Lithex/Li-Perchlorate?

[Edited on 24-6-2024 by dangerous amateur]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-6-2024 at 21:49

Exact values hygroscopicity of Lithex are unknown. But attempts show similar behavior a like NH4NO3. Complette detonator can be storage in closure jar with CaCl2. For example one week. This method of stability was not tested...:cool:
(By views / since , this thread is one of the most viewed ever)

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2024 at 03:24
KC primer

Since primary initiator substances based on KClO3 have been considered unreliable or even impossible until now, I would like to introduce a new initiator substance based on KClO3. The basis of reliability (as always) is a solid 6/8 x 50 mm steel cavity. A substance with the working designation "KC primer" was discovered by accident during research into primary compounds for the ignition of shotgun cartridges.
Because within the hammer tests on the anvil, this mixture produced deafening blows (and also damaged cartriges) the mixture was storage for 3 months as sample (at wet air in open jar) for next examination. After 3 months mixture showed zero hygroscopicity and zero changes of properties. After this was Attempts were made in the sense of a primary charge for detonators. 3 months was leave for due to the notorious instability of the mixture of sulfur and potassium chlorate.
The basic mixture consists of: KClO3 70, hexamine 15, Sulfur 15.

The preparation is on pic 1 and pic 2. On stainless pan is at 3 compounds add distill water 75% + 25% ethanol commerce grade.
Temperature is increase on 100 C and mixture is grinded on surface to dry fine powder. All process take about 10 minute. Sensitivity on friction at this hard conditions was ont observed. Hammer test show similar sensitivity as safety matches, but the explosion sound is as from HMTD (ringing in ears). Thats was main reason for storage and next examination.

KC primer1.jpg - 254kB KC primer2.jpg - 319kB

Burning test is on pic 3, 4, 5. Behavior is similar as classic BP, thus relatively slow burning with white - blue color. Damage alu foil is minimal (5) , against for example flash powders. Also wrapping in alu foil create only puff effect.

KC primer3.jpg - 207kB KC primer4.jpg - 59kB KC primer5.jpg - 207kB

In Figure 6, we see the basic series of tests on the brizance 1,2,3,4. To add, I state that the basic charge of 300 mg of ETN as an output segment causes a 14-15 mm diameter cut in the lead. And with a depth of 4 - 5 mm. The same damage was measured on crater 1, 2 and 4. So full ETN detonation, 14 mm diameter, 4.5 mm depth. Small crater No. 3 (8 x 2 mm) is the highlight of the KC primer itself.

KC primer6.jpg - 1.8MB

On pic 7 and 8 and 9 you can see the preparation for test no. 4. Filling is 300 mg ETN pressed on 10 Kg, DDT segment is 150 mg KC primer + 150 mg ETN. Follow 400 mg of starting segment from pure KC primer, with central bridge wire. As the plug was used 100 mg classic BP grain 1x1 mm.
KC primer7.jpg - 166kB KC primer 8.jpg - 138kB KC primer 9.jpg - 130kB

On pic 10 and 11 you can see verification test No. 5, perpedicular into standard steel plate 2mm of thickness, where causes the hole 8,2 x 9, 2 mm.
On pic 12 is see deploy tube 6/8 mm into hole from test.
KC primer10.jpg - 2.6MB KC primer11.jpg - 374kB KC primer 12.jpg - 1.9MB

Conclusion: For experiments No. 4 and 5, a change in the ratio of ingredients was used: KClO3 75, hexamine 15, and sulfur 10 parts by weight. That is, the same ratios as are used for classic gunpowder. For both mixtures, doping with nitrocellulose and powdered aluminum comes into consideration to create a grain that always increases the reliability of the energy filling. The brisance of the KC primer (300mg out) alone is low, but sufficient for relatively reliable ETN initiation in a solid cavity........:cool:

[Edited on 4-7-2024 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2024 at 14:44

I have lots of hexamine, and lots of KClO3 and plenty of sulfur... would this be a better primer than NHN/ETN mix? I will have to use the latter anyway because I have too much NHN! :D
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Way less sad

[*] posted on 5-7-2024 at 14:17

Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  
I have lots of hexamine, and lots of KClO3 and plenty of sulfur... would this be a better primer than NHN/ETN mix? I will have to use the latter anyway because I have too much NHN! :D
I doubt it would approach the power of ETN or NHN. Please be very careful, as anything with chlorate and sulfur is very sensitive.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2024 at 22:47

Just a due to sesitivity and unstability was KC primer leaved 3 months in wet conditions. After this, was repeatedly heated and tested on friction sensitivity. Sensitivity is after 3 months same. Similarly as head from of safety matches....:cool:

pjig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2024 at 17:01

So for the original intent as an impact primer how was the results ? I imagine that a kclo3 primer will be “dirty “ but if used in black powder rifles shouldn’t matter.
Wondering how this would compare to a co- precipitate of kclo4 and k-ferricyanide K₃Fe(CN)₆ ? Could this energetic priming compound cause ddt as your kclo3 comp ?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2024 at 21:18

It is possible that ferricyanide and KClO4 will create something beneficial. But it has to be tried. On the other hand, hexamine is probably the most versatile fuel ever. According to the behavior with different oxidizing agents, hexamine shows a special rule. In atmospheric combustion (1 Bar) with oxidizers, it usually burns slowly or very slowly. But once the combustion pressure rises above 100 Bar, hexamine outperforms all other fuels.
And even such fuels that showed almost detonation at 1Bar.....:cool:

ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2024 at 20:40

Quote: Originally posted by Sir_Gawain  
Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  
I doubt it would approach the power of ETN or NHN. Please be very careful, as anything with chlorate and sulfur is very sensitive.

Yeah, after thinking about it for a moment I think it isn't a good idea to make as an initiating agent.

Also can you have a look at the det cap strategy thread, I am curious as to what you think of my latest results. :)
greenlight
National Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 9-7-2024 at 10:42

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
Just a due to sesitivity and unstability was KC primer leaved 3 months in wet conditions. After this, was repeatedly heated and tested on friction sensitivity. Sensitivity is after 3 months same. Similarly as head from of safety matches....:cool:

This is very interesting compound and results.

I would think the sensitivity would vary depending on the purity of the sulfur and where it was sourced, but....

We know that the sulphur reacts with oxygen and moisture in air to form acid which is responsible for the sensitivity of pyrotechnic mixtures containg potassium chlorate and sulfur.
You report no increase in sensitivity or spontaneous initiation even after leaving test samples out moist/wet.

Is it possible that the addition of the hexamine (being basic) is reacting with the formed acid and essentially mopping it up which in turn maintains the compounds initial sensitivity?
Hexamine solution is sold and used as a ph buffer solution.

It doesn't appear to be breaking down into ammonia and formaldehyde as I'm sure you would notice a difference in sensitivity if ammonium chlorate was forming:D

[Edited on 9-7-2024 by greenlight]

The only use for an atomic bomb is to keep somebody else from using one.
George Wald
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2024 at 12:37

greenlight.....Is it interesting, maybe your analysis of stability is truth. Due to minimal hygroscopicity mixture works after long storage.....:cool:

FrankRizzo
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2024 at 19:44

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
It is possible that ferricyanide and KClO4 will create something beneficial. But it has to be tried. On the other hand, hexamine is probably the most versatile fuel ever. According to the behavior with different oxidizing agents, hexamine shows a special rule. In atmospheric combustion (1 Bar) with oxidizers, it usually burns slowly or very slowly. But once the combustion pressure rises above 100 Bar, hexamine outperforms all other fuels.
And even such fuels that showed almost detonation at 1Bar.....:cool:

Ledgard's "Preparatory Manual of Black Powder and Pyrotechnics" contains a co-precipitated primer composition with KClO4 and k-ferricyanide.

61% KClO4
39% K3Fe(CN)6

Prepare a saturated solution in distilled water, then crash out the mix by adding an excess of alcohol. Vacuum filter and dry.

WSM from from the amateurpyro.com forum added potassium dichromate as well to make a spicy pyrogen dip for e-match. Same co-precipitate with alcohol, but added NC lacquer for the dip.

58 KClO4
37 K3Fe(CN)6
05 K2Cr2O
pjig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-7-2024 at 06:08

Exactly, very promising compound. The last application was suggested was to “butter ematchs “ it’s low temp ignition and low sensitivity’s make it quite desirable for this .
The catalyzed mix is very reactive . Just burning the filter paper it was removed from resulted in a deafening explosion. Burns very much like a primary. Just never tried to use it in “det-train”
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13

Go To Top