Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Car windscreen washer with ethanol

Little_Ghost_again - 7-10-2014 at 06:27

Hi
On a deep deep garage forage I found some very old car windscreen wash concentrate :D, is blue in colour and smell's a bit like perfume.
Label just says contains ethanol. So I am gong to distil it as there is about 3 liters in the bottle.
My question is.........
Is it worth refluxing this mix for a bit first then a make shift fractionating column? OR
not worth the hassle and straight distill? All I am hoping for is to get rid of the colour and the smell, I can live with water in it and methanol (if there is any). This will be used for plant extractions or if it goes really well TLC.

As a side note I went looking for sodium free dishwasher salt! dosnt look like this part of Scotland has any :(.

Little_Ghost_again - 7-10-2014 at 06:34

going to try a straight distil first (lazy day).

hyfalcon - 7-10-2014 at 10:34

Be lucky to get 300ml out of it.

Little_Ghost_again - 7-10-2014 at 11:05

300ml is not a bad reward for skill polishing (I wonder how long I can get away using that excuse lol).
This time my distilation is going ok! it is taking ages!!! But I have intentionally done everything very slowly, its more a simmer than full on boil in the flask but I am getting something coming over at 79c with a oil bath at 104c.

hyfalcon - 7-10-2014 at 13:47

Sounds about right.

There will always be a differential between the heat source and the temp at the still head.

[Edited on 7-10-2014 by hyfalcon]

Little_Ghost_again - 7-10-2014 at 14:32

It went really well, I kept the oil dead steady at 104c raising slightly towards the end to 107c.
I got fractions at 74c slow drips but lasted 15 mins, then 79c slightly more drip rate lasted 60 mins ish, then jump to 84 c only lasted 15 mins because I had to stop for the night.
I did it all really slow, the 74c stuff isnt much but has almost no smell! The flask was a long necked round bottom claisian flask, it refluxed pretty good with loads of drips back into the flask and down the sides for a good hour before anything came over. I raised the oil temp very very slowly each time.
There is still loads left in the flask I will finish this tomorrow, I also added salt at the start in the hope any ethanol and water azeotrope might split. I dont think it did though. Was a change from my normal wack the plate on high get a boil going hard in ten mins kind of thing. It took much longer than normal but all fractions smell very distinctly different.
I thought of adding some almond oil to a little of each then shaking, put this on a tlc plate and chloroform and IPA to develop. My thinking is if the fractions really are that different then oil bands will move differently?? Or is this just bollox?