Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Car windscreen washer with ethanol
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 06:27
Car windscreen washer with ethanol

Hi
On a deep deep garage forage I found some very old car windscreen wash concentrate :D, is blue in colour and smell's a bit like perfume.
Label just says contains ethanol. So I am gong to distil it as there is about 3 liters in the bottle.
My question is.........
Is it worth refluxing this mix for a bit first then a make shift fractionating column? OR
not worth the hassle and straight distill? All I am hoping for is to get rid of the colour and the smell, I can live with water in it and methanol (if there is any). This will be used for plant extractions or if it goes really well TLC.

As a side note I went looking for sodium free dishwasher salt! dosnt look like this part of Scotland has any :(.

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 06:34

going to try a straight distil first (lazy day).
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 10:34

Be lucky to get 300ml out of it.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 11:05

300ml is not a bad reward for skill polishing (I wonder how long I can get away using that excuse lol).
This time my distilation is going ok! it is taking ages!!! But I have intentionally done everything very slowly, its more a simmer than full on boil in the flask but I am getting something coming over at 79c with a oil bath at 104c.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 13:47

Sounds about right.

There will always be a differential between the heat source and the temp at the still head.

[Edited on 7-10-2014 by hyfalcon]
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2014 at 14:32

It went really well, I kept the oil dead steady at 104c raising slightly towards the end to 107c.
I got fractions at 74c slow drips but lasted 15 mins, then 79c slightly more drip rate lasted 60 mins ish, then jump to 84 c only lasted 15 mins because I had to stop for the night.
I did it all really slow, the 74c stuff isnt much but has almost no smell! The flask was a long necked round bottom claisian flask, it refluxed pretty good with loads of drips back into the flask and down the sides for a good hour before anything came over. I raised the oil temp very very slowly each time.
There is still loads left in the flask I will finish this tomorrow, I also added salt at the start in the hope any ethanol and water azeotrope might split. I dont think it did though. Was a change from my normal wack the plate on high get a boil going hard in ten mins kind of thing. It took much longer than normal but all fractions smell very distinctly different.
I thought of adding some almond oil to a little of each then shaking, put this on a tlc plate and chloroform and IPA to develop. My thinking is if the fractions really are that different then oil bands will move differently?? Or is this just bollox?

Go To Top