Sciencemadness Discussion Board

First SUCCESSFUL steam distillation

arkoma - 9-7-2014 at 16:53

Well, I tried and tried and tried to generate enough steam in an oil bath (I hava a HUGE fear of fires) but it just didna work. So I appropriated my sisters teapot (shhhhhhb!!!!!) and used the gas side burner on the BBQ grill. I actually ended upwith a visible amount of basil oil w00t w00t!!

Steam adapter:

LOTS of PTFE tape

In the thermometer adapter/stillhead

FAIL steam generator

OMG, some drunk swiped my sisters tea kettle

slightly reamed out the whistler hole--hopefully she doesn't catch me (it still whistles)

Can't really see it, but there isa layer of sweet basil oil on top of the H2O

violet sin - 9-7-2014 at 18:34

Nice work man, I have been really wanting to get distilling with steam my self. What all do you have planned? The possibilities are many. I started a big planter if mint just for this, saved a gallon bag of Orange blossoms, 1.5gal of lemon zest and have orange peels, grapefruit peels, access to annise, basil, parsley and more. Not from stores, home grown.

Looks to be a lot of fun. Can't wait to get started, but in the meantime time, keep posting. I find this subject interesting

hyfalcon - 10-7-2014 at 01:17

I've got a 6 X 30' patch of lemon balm I've been wanting to do this to. I've obviously got to scale up for mine though.

arkoma - 10-7-2014 at 05:37

I've got some pine gathered up and also some Encelia Turns out there is an intertesting looking benzaldehyde in the encelia.

Loptr - 10-7-2014 at 05:57

Title: 5-Acetyl-2-methoxybenzaldehyde
CAS Registry Number: 531-99-7
Additional Names: 3-Acetyl-6-methoxybenzaldehyde
Molecular Formula: C10H10O3
Molecular Weight: 178.18
Percent Composition: C 67.41%, H 5.66%, O 26.94%
Literature References: A natural plant growth inhibitor found in the leaves of Encelia farinosa A. Gray, Compositae. Isoln and synthesis from 3-acetyl-6-methoxybenzonitrile: Gray, Bonner, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 70, 1249 (1948).
Properties: Needles from alcohol or ether, mp 144°. Sublimes without decomp. Emits fragrant odor on prolonged heating. Sol in hot water, warm ether, alcohol, benzene, chloroform. Practically insol in cold water, 5% HCl, 5% NaOH, petr ether, carbon tetrachloride. Sol with orange color in concd mineral acids.
Melting point: mp 144°

hyfalcon - 10-7-2014 at 07:48

I thing black walnut has a similar growth inhibiting substance in it.

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/fruits/blkwalnt.htm

aga - 10-7-2014 at 10:00

Neat.
Kettle as a steam generator.
Wish i had thought of that !

arkoma - 10-7-2014 at 10:54

I tried using a canning jar with pipe soldered to lid in oil bath at first FAIL.