Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of para hydroxy benzoic acid
Zock4
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-9-2016 at 10:42
Synthesis of para hydroxy benzoic acid

Hello guys
I plan to synthesize para hydroxy benzoic acid. The wikipedia page says that it is as easy as heating potassium salicylate and potassium carbonate to about 240 degrees C and then add acid. But how long do I need to heat it and how do I clean the PHB from the salicylic acid ?
Tips are very welcome.

Greetings
Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

Mood: vacant

[*] posted on 20-9-2016 at 11:39

Try clicking on the reference for that reaction at the bottom of the wikipedia page. It is linked to the write-up for that procedure.
Looks like an interesting site that link is on. I'll have to check it out further.

EDIT: I'd put an air condenser on that flask to catch the phenol. never know when a little phenol might come in handy.

[Edited on 20-9-2016 by Maroboduus]
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 20-9-2016 at 12:20

@Maroboduus--I NEVER think about those links. Thanx, and it does indeed look like an interesting procedure and is definitely within the reach of amateurs

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

Maroboduus
Hazard to Others

Mood: vacant

[*] posted on 20-9-2016 at 14:57

Well, most of them are either dead or useless (at least the links to books), but it's easy to check and sometimes you hit pay-dirt!
I'll forgo any reference to glory-holes lest my gold mining metaphor be misinterpreted.

I too found it interesting. Mostly because I'm drawing a complete blank on what the reaction mechanism is.
I obviously need to review my O-chem texts. It's been a long time.

Go To Top