Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cyclopentadiene by cyclopentenone
carlituz
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 16:19
Cyclopentadiene by cyclopentenone

Hi everybody,

May anybody help me to plan a synthesis of cyclopentadiene starting from cyclopentenone? I was thinking to the following:

- Reduction of cyclopentenone to cyclopentenol by enzymes
- Dehydration of cyclopentenol to cyclopentadiene by strong acid

Do you think this path may be feasible? Can anyone suggest any amelioration to it, or maybe something different (e.g. without passage through the alcohol)?

Thank you
Carlo
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 16:46

No, assuming you can reduce the ketone to an alkohol, dehydration of this will only give cyclopentene ie only one ethylenic double bound. But if you add say bromine to this to obtain 1,2 dibromocyclopentane it may then be possible to de-hydrohalogenate this compound to cyclopentadiene but it may also give a single acetylenic triple bound instead. I think you need to do some more reading.
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2015 at 16:54

Dehydrohalogenation of the dibromocyclopentane will definitely not give an alkyne due to ring strain. However I suspect it will mostly give 1-bromocyclopentene which will be unreactive to base.
CuReUS
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-12-2015 at 09:59

Quote: Originally posted by Boffis  
No, assuming you can reduce the ketone to an alkohol, dehydration of this will only give cyclopentene ie only one ethylenic double bound.

He is using cyclopentenenone,not cyclopentanone .So on dehydration,cyclopentadiene will form
Quote: Originally posted by carlituz  

May anybody help me to plan a synthesis of cyclopentadiene starting from cyclopentenone? I was thinking to the following:

- Reduction of cyclopentenone to cyclopentenol by enzymes
- Dehydration of cyclopentenol to cyclopentadiene by strong acid

Do you think this path may be feasible?

yes ,it will work
Quote:
Can anyone suggest any amelioration to it, or maybe something different (e.g. without passage through the alcohol)?

go to pg 15 of pdf(pg 410 of original article) - 2,4 -pentanediol and p-toulenesulphonic acid
http://www.arkat-usa.org/get-file/48168/

Go To Top