Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Storage and Containment using the everyday.
szuko03
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-6-2015 at 07:21
Storage and Containment using the everyday.

So recently I had a small spill of high concentration of dissolved Sodium hydroxide leak through the container and spill all over my table that I had it on. Stuff recrystallized everywhere and was quite the mess. Luckily I had plenty of vinegar to neutralize and clean it up and it didnt damage anything, The only thing it got on was my pH meter which is still calibrated so I'm going to assume its not damaged. It was all because stupid me didnt store it properly because I wasnt thinking it would be there for so long, basically I neglected to handle it properly. The issue was it was stored in LDPE (recycling#4) and not the HDPE (recycling#2) I normally use all under the idea of short term storage it wont be an issue, but then it was.

So that got me thinking I am not sure if its been done or what but making a list of the various plastics and containers what they are coded for recycling, how to identify them, what temps and solvents they can handle without any chance of breaching the containment. Like I said I know to mostly use HDPE but LDPE is so much more abundant when it comes to on the spot storage.

So what do you guys use when you dont have the appropriate container? I know we should all try to go for the exact right vessel when it comes to storage to avoid these issues but sometimes you have to work with what ya got.

Chemistry is a natural drive, not an interest.

Go To Top