Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrides
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2015 at 13:37
Hydrides

Is it possible to make a metal hydride such as sodium or aluminum hydride at home without expensive equipment?
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 28-3-2015 at 16:34

Hydrogen gas source and molten sodium should produce sodium hydride.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 28-3-2015 at 18:00

I have seen members do surprising things on shoestring budgets- Not saying it's impossible to make such things in an amateur home lab, but it is not a beginner's project. (Not a beginner who works in their family home and is nervous about living outdoors after hospital release & some new scar tissue, anyhow...)

Quote:

Yes. It should... Perhaps with a bit of energy released? And some interesting side reactions after containment is breached to atmosphere?!

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2015 at 18:14

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Quote:

Yes. It should... Perhaps with a bit of energy released? And some interesting side reactions after containment is breached to atmosphere?!

Well, I didnt provide a procedure, but it is definitely something that should be done under an inert atmosphere and with adequate forethought. Hydrides in general carry a risk of fire on their own, let alone during their formation. Not to mention the hydrogen gas flow...

I think I read on this very forum a user mention storage of potassium hydride in the Southern United States a guaranteed fire.

Also, there was a thread not to long ago about making sodium borohydride starting from sodium by making the hydride and then reacting with methyl borate. I dont know how reliable the poster was, but its worth a forum search.
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2015 at 07:49

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Quote:

Well, I didnt provide a procedure, but it is definitely something that should be done under an inert atmosphere and with adequate forethought. Hydrides in general carry a risk of fire on their own, let alone during their formation. Not to mention the hydrogen gas flow...

I think I read on this very forum a user mention storage of potassium hydride in the Southern United States a guaranteed fire.

Also, there was a thread not to long ago about making sodium borohydride starting from sodium by making the hydride and then reacting with methyl borate. I dont know how reliable the poster was, but its worth a forum search.

Yeah, I saw something about that on Wikipedia, and that's sorta what I wanted to make. The methyl borate is the easy part, but it's much harder to make the sodium hydride.
Loptr
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2015 at 09:23

I would imagine the hydride would be more difficult than the ester.

One of our members has a video on YT about methyl borate.

Go To Top