Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Large Companies/Manufacturers
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 12:34
Large Companies/Manufacturers

Whenever you go to fill out a form with a large company like Corning for stuff like free samples, they always require that you enter a company name. Do most amateur chemists just say "individual" or something similar?
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 12:47

I used to put my dad's work info in, which has nothing to do with chemistry. Sometimes it worked, but usually not. Since then a friend of mine let me use his AC /heating buisness, which works a lot more often, but still not for places like Sigma.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by Molecular Manipulations  
I used to put my dad's work info in, which has nothing to do with chemistry. Sometimes it worked, but usually not. Since then a friend of mine let me use his AC /heating buisness, which works a lot more often, but still not for places like Sigma.

My dad's work info might work. The name of his company (Browsium) sounds chemistry-related, but he doesn't even know basic chemistry!
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 13:10

If you take this hobby seriously enough, do yourself a favor, and register as a business. In the US you can file a DBA or "Doing business as" under any name. It is free to do so.
Since you are not selling anything there is no need for a Sales, and Use" tax registration so your Social security number becomes your Federal ID or Business ID number.

Establish a respectable Email just for the business such as Proton Mail (no Gmail or HotMail).
In the Email you install one of those "legal warnings under your signature.
Go to a site or if you have the software make yourself a company logo, and install that into your Email.

It's a bit of an effort but it is a legit way to go. You have better access to items others don't, and you are covered if anyone ever questions your motives.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 15:03

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  

... and you are covered if anyone ever questions your motives.

What does this mean?

Probably wouldn't work for Sigma-Aldrich in the US though. I've heard (on this forum) that they thoroughly vet their candidate customers.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 15:42

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

... and you are covered if anyone ever questions your motives.

What does this mean?

Probably wouldn't work for Sigma-Aldrich in the US though. I've heard (on this forum) that they thoroughly vet their candidate customers.

Actually it does qualify you to order most items. You have to be real about your info. Their on line questionnaire has boxes for "field(s) of research"
Interests
items used
quantities, ect...
They want mainly to apply your orders to your field. If you are listed as a Pharmaceutical manufacturer, they will require licencing. If you are listed in Polymer research, they will sell you the normally required items.

You have to be honest about what you can, and can not do, as well as what is required.

Being covered in case of questions, applies to what I just explained.
You don't want to attempt to order 5 gallons of Safrole if you are not qualified or certified to handle this. Same applies for hundreds of compounds.

I'm brand new to this as a hobby but I have taken it to the appropriate level. I am listed with my city as a business, and have had a fire dept. inspection to verify the area my lab is being built in qualifies for it's intended purpose.

To date I have an account with Fisher, Deschem, and Elemental scientific. I intend to sign up with Dow Corning, and Cole.

Keeping it real is my point.

[Edited on 2-21-2015 by Zombie]

Zom.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 15:48

A lot of the time bigger companies won't ship chemicals to areas zoned residential. Otherwise, I've found Aldrich at least willing to work with businesses run by individuals. Haven't bothered with it myself, but I know a couple people who have. SCBT is fine selling me things as an individual, but they insist on shipping to my workplace instead of my home.

[Edited on 2-20-2015 by Etaoin Shrdlu]
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 20-2-2015 at 16:23

Quote: Originally posted by Etaoin Shrdlu  
A lot of the time bigger companies won't ship chemicals to areas zoned residential. Otherwise, I've found Aldrich at least willing to work with businesses run by individuals. Haven't bothered with it myself, but I know a couple people who have. SCBT is fine selling me things as an individual, but they insist on shipping to my workplace instead of my home.

[Edited on 2-20-2015 by Etaoin Shrdlu]

Very good point.
My house is in a dual zoned neighborhood.

If you are not... The best advice is as Etaion says, Ship to your work address or any other business address you have access to: Bill to whatever your CC is.

Good Point!

Zom.
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 12:41

So, do you think I should try an account with Corning with my dad's work information? Also, how good is Alibaba about getting free samples?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 12:59

Like I said you have to keep it real. Check off the boxes that really apply to you.

In the comments box, explain you are a student or an amateur chemist looking to study or just a simple hobbyist trying to learn, and stock a lab while supporting a wife, and four kids.

If you are in a residential neighborhood, arrange to ship items to a proper address.

Dow gives samples of thousand dollar items. DON'T be greedy. See if you can get a rack of test tubes or replace the RBF that you broke.

Keep it real.

Ali Baba on the other hand is a back alley swap meet. You never know what sort you will run into there.
All the vendors have links so it never hurts to spend an evening contacting, and seeing what shakes out.
Keep in mind... Shipping from China isn't free. They will mostly expect some return business.
Perhaps offer to pay shipping for a gram sample of whatever. Most of the China dealers can sweep that off the lid of a 55 gallon drum.

I guess what I am saying is put yourself in their shoes. The people that review these sample requests do it for a living. They already saw you coming.

Zom.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 13:15

Dow gives samples of thousand dollar items. DON'T be greedy.

Those need very special approval though. Their sample page states that those expensive items need approval by management before being fulfilled. Thus, to avoid being noticed, stay away from special items.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-2-2015 at 14:53

DON'T be greedy. See if you can get a rack of test tubes or replace the RBF that you broke.

Keep it real.

That is probably THE most important point made about reagent acquisition ever made.

If you do not need or have use for Plutonium, Hydrofloric acid etc, do not attempt to buy it.

Greed always causes serious problems, and inevitably a person's downfall.

Granted, there is no scientific study i can cite to support this, yet the regularity of it's occurrence makes it kinda obvious.

Go To Top