Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interpretation of MSDS
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 26-6-2014 at 08:01
Interpretation of MSDS

Currently, I'm trying to reproduce a pool chemical, "BioGuard Mineral Springs Renewal" because the price of it is outrageous, $40USD/4lb bag, one bag per week. I found the MSDS online and it lists all of the ingredients with a range of percentages(it doesn't list that the remainder is sodium chloride but I know that from the package). However, some of the percentages range as much as 20% by weight, is this the allowable range, or is this to prevent people from reproducing it?

Attachment: bioguard-mineral-springs-renewal-msds.pdf (53kB)
This file has been downloaded 745 times

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-6-2014 at 08:15

Do you have any of the product currently? Maybe you could buy a bag and attempt to analyze it, still save money in the long run. Besides, there might be more ingredients. Those are just the so-called "hazardous components." There may be more than just sodium chloride making up the remainder.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 26-6-2014 at 08:20

I already bought a bag and it list the ingredients as sodium bisulfate, sodium chloride, boron salt, organic acid, and aluminum salt.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 26-6-2014 at 13:48

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
However, some of the percentages range as much as 20% by weight, is this the allowable range, or is this to prevent people from reproducing it?

They list ranges usually.
In your case, 15-35% NaHSO4, etc.

I'm not sure why they aren't more precise. Maybe it is a matter of quality control being weak.

Yes, companies just throw together chemicals and add inactive ingredients to bulk it up and add color, make a pretty label and just sell it.

A good example is Windex (pretty blue color) and Draino (pretty green color added to NaOH. Not sure why they add 1% NaCl).

Every clone of Windex also adds the pretty blue color. Some of them add green coloring.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-6-2014 at 15:26

Well I guess if that's the case then you'll probably be fine mixing it with those approximations, and then seeing if it works like it should.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top