Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Silly question about solvents...
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 08:02
Silly question about solvents...

This is probably a very silly question but I have pondered it for quite some time.

Is the use of a solvent necessary when all reactants are liquid and existing in the same phase?

I've seen a number of papers imply upon this point, doing reactions where all reactants are liquid, using no excessive solvent (for good-excellent yields). I have also seen similar reactions performed where copious amounts of solvents are utilized to the same effect, when they are not required. Then there is also the commonly pushed theory that when using phase transfer catalysts with liquid reactants, organic solvents can be eliminated.

Why does it seem to be scholarly habit to use solvents when they seem to not be required, if everything reacts anyways? Seems to only create more of a mess during clean up.

And yes I know different solvents have different properties and can be required for some reactions, but for a lot of reactions I see, they just seem wasteful.

[Edited on 5-5-2014 by FireLion3]
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 08:14

It depends upon the reaction, can you be more specific? Sometimes yes, sometimes no it depends on the reaction if a solvent is necessary and what that solvent must be.

Go To Top