Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My chemical light experiment:
flashmanc
Unregistered

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 01:46
My chemical light experiment:

Put my equipment on- some of the chemicals are corrosive so if you are planning to try this experiment at home, be sure to put your gloves on.
I first prepared two stocks solutions, one containing Luminal C8H7N3O2, the light molecule, and one containing Potassium Ferricyanide K3[Fe(CN)6]. After I had this stock solutions I made 2 diluted solutions. I started with the Luminol by adding 0.5g NaOH and 0.1 g of Luminol, and dissolved the mix in 50ml of H2O. I called this stock solution A. I got the second stock solution by dissolving 0.3g of K3[Fe(CN)6] in 97ml of H2O, and called this stock B. I then made diluted solution from my stocks, first took 5ml of the Luminol solution from the stock A, and diluted in 35ml H2O, then did the same thing with the Potassium Ferricyanide, but in this one added 0.5 ml extra of hydrogen peroxide with 30% concentration. Then turned the lights off and got the light from my chemical reaction while I mixed the solutions. This kind of light is used by detectives to trace blood.
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 06:37

The luminol experiment! Very fun! I use it when I do demonstrations for elemnentry schools! Really gets the kids attention.

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
vmelkon
National Hazard

Mood: autoerotic asphyxiation

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 12:58

It would be more interesting to see a picture or 2 and a video rather than just seeing a recipe.
Be sure to talk about the actual reaction if you are going to do a video. Most amateur's chemist's videos don't talk about it, don't show any equation, or don't properly measure things.

Signature ==== Is this my youtube page? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA5PYtul5aU
We must attach the electrodes of knowledge to the nipples of ignorance and give a few good jolts.
Yes my evolutionary friends. We are all homos here.

Go To Top