Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ferrous chloride crystals left in open air
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2013 at 06:48
Ferrous chloride crystals left in open air

SORRY, BUT THIS IS THE FIFTH TIME this year that I have tried to upload images: My images are trimmed to 400kb and max 400px on longest side and this forum server will not accept them. So the explanation below is pointless without the image.

Hi, I know not spectacular, but thought it interesting. At least I had not expected this. Ferrous chloride with no apparent oxidation taking place to ferric chloride - at least no observable change yet.

I filtered the ferrous chloride solution having heated it down to a bare minimum of solution, but with just a few iron filing scrap left over. The wet sodden green mash that I collected in the filter was full of ferrous chloride and iron particles mixed together. The solution itself remained an olive green.

I left the solids outside for two days in 3 - 8 c temperatures uncovered and the solids have evaporated quite some water to be left with a reasonably dry mass of ferrous chloride. Though I know it is by no means pure. You can see the Elemental Iron particles trapped within the crystals though not so clear on the image attached.

What I did not expect was first that any evaporation would take place, also I expected a little hydrolysis due to the wet atmosphere in the weather, and lastly I expected this to turn brown and at least show signs of it oxidizing. The presence of elemental iron explains why it is not oxidising? Not that I mind, this was all just a side show to something else I am busy with.

[Edited on 30-3-2013 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 30-3-2013 at 14:44

Just use a program to re-size the image to 800 X 3000. Always worked for me.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman

Go To Top