Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: can i make Copper Acetate and Nitric acid like this ?
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 05:38
can i make Copper Acetate and Nitric acid like this ?

Hey

Can I make acopper acetate and dilute nitric acid like this with dilute acetic acid ?

4CH3CO2H + Cu(NO3)2(H2O)3 = Cu2(CH3CO2)4(H2O)2 + 2HNO3 + H2 + H2O

I am just guessing the equations, do i need heat ?

i know copper carbonate and acetic acid can get copper acetate but i want some dilute nitric acid also ;)

Or how about this ?

Copper wire + H2O2 + Dilute acetic acid.

[Edited on 20-2-2013 by KonkreteRocketry]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 07:21

OK, per Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_nitrate ):

"Attempted dehydration of any of the hydrated copper(II) nitrates by heating instead affords the oxides, not Cu(NO3)2. At 80 °C, the hydrates convert to "basic copper nitrate" (Cu2(NO3)(OH)3), which converts to CuO at 180 °C.[2] Exploiting this reactivity, copper nitrate can be used to generate nitric acid by heating it until decomposition and passing the fumes directly into water. This method is similar to the last step in the Ostwald process. The equations are as follows:

2 Cu(NO3)2 → 2 CuO + 4 NO2 + O2

3NO2 + H2O → 2HNO3 + NO "

So heating the Copper nitrate, collecting the gases and dissolving in water. followed by further mixing with air (converting NO to NO2) produces Nitric acid. One can then react the CuO with acetic acid to form the Copper acetate. Note, in the presence of CO2, some Verdigris could be formed.
KonkreteRocketry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 09:12

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  

"Attempted dehydration of any of the hydrated copper(II) nitrates by heating instead affords the oxides, not Cu(NO3)2. At 80 °C, the hydrates convert to "basic copper nitrate" (Cu2(NO3)(OH)3), which converts to CuO at 180 °C.[2] Exploiting this reactivity, copper nitrate can be used to generate nitric acid by heating it until decomposition and passing the fumes directly into water. This method is similar to the last step in the Ostwald process. The equations are as follows:

2 Cu(NO3)2 → 2 CuO + 4 NO2 + O2

3NO2 + H2O → 2HNO3 + NO "

So heating the Copper nitrate, collecting the gases and dissolving in water. followed by further mixing with air (converting NO to NO2) produces Nitric acid. One can then react the CuO with acetic acid to form the Copper acetate. Note, in the presence of CO2, some Verdigris could be formed.

Umm seems legit, ill have to do this in a fume hood lol, do you know if copper acetate can be produced easier ? because i will have to make copper carbonate with sodium carbonate by ion switching before getting copper carbonate to ion switch with acetic acid, so its annoying lol.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 11:23

One can then react the CuO with acetic acid to form the Copper acetate. Note, in the presence of CO2, some Verdigris could be formed.

I have found that copper(II) oxide often does not want to dissolve in acetic acid, especially if its well-dried. The basic carbonate reacts much more readily.

Filtering out the basic copper(II) carbonate can be a pain, because its very pasty. If you wash it well with alcohol, it dries better and is more easily transferred.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 19:41

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
I have found that copper(II) oxide often does not want to dissolve in acetic acid, especially if its well-dried. The basic carbonate reacts much more readily.

Filtering out the basic copper(II) carbonate can be a pain, because its very pasty. If you wash it well with alcohol, it dries better and is more easily transferred.

Good point DraconicAcid. I have only dissolved Cu forming Copper acetate in a H2O2/Acetic acid solution and then only slowly.
Poppy
Hazard to Others

Mood: † chemical zombie

[*] posted on 20-2-2013 at 21:02

"basic copper nitrate" (Cu2(NO3)(OH)3), which converts to CuO at 180 °C

A classic example you should not trust wiki.
Conversion of dry deactivated Cu(OH)2 to CuO does not occur at 180°C if at all. It took hours at 230°C but didn't change $¨*t
For that reason I would not trust the later too, because once some nitric is generated the equilibrium would probably shift and all you get are tiny amounts. I think the one who posted such procedures didn't care much about yield.
And no CO2 emitted by the oven was not a problem here since a test was performed in a separated plate far from CO2.

Go To Top