National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:06
Concentrated/Max Mol solution of C6H8O7

Citric Acid:

Molar mass is 192g/mole anhydrous
Solubility = 72grams per 100mL
19.2grams per 100mL = 1mole

Therefore does that mean that maximum concentration of citric acid that can be made would be a 3.75 mole because of its solubility limit (72 divided by 19.2)?

Am I confused?

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:14

What are you trying to do? Calculate the concentration of a saturated solution of citric acid?

If so, then yes . .

If so, then solubility = 720g/L

Moles = Mass/Mr

720/192 = 3.75 moles.

3.75/10 = 0.375

Therefore, 1L of a saturated solution of citric acid will hold 3.75 moles of citric acid, or 720g.

Therefore, 100ml of a saturated solution of citric acid will hold 0.375 moles of citric acid, or 72g.

Thus, the maximum concentration for a solution of citric acid (I presume your solubility data refers to RTP) will be 3.75 molar.

[Edited on 8-5-2012 by Hexavalent]

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:31

Hi Hexavalent, yes that was it. At least I am on the right road here.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:34

Yes, you certainly are.

This might be better BTW in the 'Short questions thread', I've sent the mods a message to let them know. Might be better there than having an entire thread on its own.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:45

Sorry, did not know there was a short questions thread, can't seem to find it.

Hexavalent
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 13:49

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14239

Go To Top