Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: HUMOR: Why I won't touch soluble lead compounds with a 60 foot pole
FormerChemist
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 08:32

Reminds me of a couple of experiments I did as a kid.

Dissolved tin-lead solder in hydrochloric acid. The tin dissolved, leaving powdered lead behind. I then burnt it over the kitchen stove, under the range hood. It burned with a grayish flame, IIRC. I then wiped the red dust up off the stove and continued with a different project.

My younger brother used to melt chunks of lead wheel weights using a piece of a glow plug hooked up to a powerful transformer in his bedroom. When they got red hot, he would dump them in a glass of water.

Later on, I would dissolve lead wheel weights in a mixture of vinegar and 3% hydrogen peroxide. Safety precautions? Never heard of them. After all, its only chunks of metal, and nontoxic vinegar, and nontoxic H2O2, right? Can't be that bad?
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 15:35

Quote: Originally posted by FormerChemist  
Reminds me of a couple of experiments I did as a kid.

Dissolved tin-lead solder in hydrochloric acid. The tin dissolved, leaving powdered lead behind. I then burnt it over the kitchen stove, under the range hood. It burned with a grayish flame, IIRC. I then wiped the red dust up off the stove and continued with a different project.

Is there anything particularly wrong with the dissolving part? Or just their poisonous-ness?

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top