Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Concentration of NH4OH
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 19:44

Quote: Originally posted by AirCowPeaCock  
Im alreading trying the sal ammoniac method..(:

Here is a great work up of a fun method by smuv with some good pictures too. In your set up though, you wouldn't even need the nice drying tube since you'll be bubbling onto an ice cold, ammonia solution in distilled water.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=16061#...

Obviously look up the dangers of NH<sub>3</sub>(g), be careful, blah, blah, fume hood or outdoors, etc, etc.

Oh, and to help with the spelling police. Try and download Mozilla Firefox as your browser. It's got a build in spell check. Or you could always draft them in a word processor and the copy pasta them here after spell check. I do that for really long posts, or if I want a writeup to look more structured and neat.

[Edited on 11-1-2012 by Bot0nist]

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 20:53

It worked great! I got 125 mls of 30% solution, just what I was looking for, it took 2 hrs though! If I need more ill try the sulfate method if I need more--NH4Cl(s) + H2SO4(l) => (NH4)SO4(s) + HCl(g)? I have 95% sulfuric acid at my diposal. So only a small fraction of the HCl produced would disolve into the water. Could be boiled off afterwords. Don't worry, I have a fume hood with a face volocity exceeding that of 30 m/min

BOLD

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 21:21

So only a small fraction of the HCl produced would disolve into the water. Could be boiled off afterwords. Don't worry, I have a fume hood with a face volocity exceeding that of 30 m/min

Or you could pipe it into a train of neutralizing baths in wash bottles and trap most all of it as (useful) HCl salts. Even fish-tank tubing and 20oz soda bottles work for this in my experience (Though they do get milky white and brittle with time). If your seals are decent it works wonder. Account for suckback! Still, do it in the fume hood, of course.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 07:12

I need more ill try the sulfate method if I need more--NH4Cl(s) + H2SO4(l) => (NH4)SO4(s) + HCl(g)? I have 95% sulfuric acid at my diposal. So only a small fraction of the HCl produced would disolve into the water. Could be boiled off afterwords. Don't worry, I have a fume hood with a face volocity exceeding that of 30 m/min
If you have NH4Cl that will work fine. I use the sulfate only because it is cheap and available. There is no need to convert one to the other. Perhaps you should spend some time reading a chemistry book.
AirCowPeaCock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Hazardous

[*] posted on 11-1-2012 at 07:31

NH4Cl did work fine--next time ill remember to add an excess of sodium hydroxide to be sure to neutralize all the HCl. I've been through a few chem texts, or at-least through the inorganic section, and a little into organics. No need to neutralize the HCl, I can just collect it in water--you can never have enough muriatic(?) acid.

BOLD

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top