Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: fractionating at reduced pressure, DIY packed column?
bromosapien
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-7-2024 at 14:19
fractionating at reduced pressure, DIY packed column?

Hello nerds! So, I have begun learning vacuum distillation. I like to learn reasoning and mechanics behind the techniques so feel free to just point me to good learning material that can answer my questions. As just a hobbyist, my first attempt testing my setup went reasonably well, but I’d like to learn how to improve separation and efficiency.

As far as fractionating, I have so far only tried a vigreux at atmospheric pressure, and it hasn’t really given me the results i’m looking for.

how would you recommend a hobbyist proceed? I’ve read that a packed column is a great option. Can I use a vertical liebig condenser for this, and connect vacuum to the condenser ports for insulation? I have some broken glassware i could crush and sift into bead-sized chunks, or probably other stuff that would work (open to ideas). Then I just need a way to prevent it from falling in the flask, perhaps a straight vacuum takeoff with the stopcock closed and a piece of screen?

What are the considerations for using fractionating columns like packed columns when reducing at lower pressure? is it different than atmospheric, why if so?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 23-7-2024 by bromosapien]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 23-7-2024 at 15:50

For fractional distillation at atmospheric pressure,
fractionating efficiency is mainly determined by the surface area of gas:liquid interface, and reflux ratio.

Area: wall(s) of column plus packing material.
A packed Vigreaux column works well,
Broken glass is ok but it is likely to cause 'channeling', I use small glass spheres.
Stainless steel wool/scrubber has more surface area so it's good, if not incompatible with your distillate.

Reflux: commonly implemented in two different techniques;
1) preferred is a thermally insulated packed column with a reflux condenser and partial take off head on top.
2) simpler but not as efficient is a packed un-insulated column.
Being un-insulated the wall(s) of the column cause reflux.

An insulated column without a reflux condenser is useless.

I suggest that you try 2) then 1) before attempting a reduced pressure fractionation.

PS a packed column is often referred to as a Hempel column.

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
bromosapien
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-7-2024 at 12:38

Thanks! so for the insulated setup, I have one of these:
https://www.prismresearchglass.com/product/adapter-distillat...
Would this work for what you were describing above the column? With a reflux condenser?
If not, can you point me toward a hobbyist-friendly diagram or overview of this type of setup?

For now I will try just packing my un-insulated vigreux to see if separation imporves enough. Thanks again
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 25-7-2024 at 13:43

I got one for about half that price with 24/40 joints from
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=71...

Still in use. 5ft insulated packed column, big reflux condencer, 3-way adapter with takeoff valve, 45 sweep, graham condenser, vacuum adapter and addition funnel. Use the vacuum adapter, graham condencer and a peristaltic pump to vapor lock the liquid and control the reflux ratio.
Customer wanted to reclaim solvent from an automated paint booth. All the exhaust flows through a chiller and is condenced then fractionally distilled.

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted

Go To Top