Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A most sobering situation
Rhodanide
Hazard to Others

Mood: That retro aesthetic

shocked.gif posted on 20-10-2017 at 19:42
A most sobering situation

So I thought I'd have a go at making a diazonium salt solution. I made up a saturated solution of Anilinium Hydrochloride in water, and another of NaNO2 in water. I added the An HCl to the Nitrite, and just about soiled myself when an orange precipitate filled the beaker. My reasoning for being afraid was this: The beaker in front of me was now filled with (what I thought to be) precipitated BDZ Chloride, and I was probably going to experience an explosion. I was also expecting to experience the same situation stated on Wikipedia - and I quote: "It is often preferred that the Diazonium salt remain in solutions, but they do tend to supersaturate. Operators have been injured or even killed by an unexpected crystallization of the salt followed by its detonation." ...which I thought was gonna be me. However, nothing happened, I massively diluted it with water and poured it down the drain. I've got pictures of the precipitate, tell me if I was rightfully frightened, or just needlessly spooked.

20171020_223714-3628x2721.jpg - 858kB

LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 21-10-2017 at 11:23

Benzenediazonium chloride reacts with aniline to form Aniline Yellow, which is what I'd presume you have here since it isn't very soluble in water. Benzenediazonium salts tend to be colourless, and what I think here is the anion exchange bypassed major formation of the BDZ chloride (since the chloride is now bound to the NaCl). Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help out, but this is the mechanism I believe to be occurring, which could be wrong so take with a pinch of salt.

PhNH3Cl + NaNO2 -> PhN2OH + NaCl + H2O
PhN2OH + PhNH3Cl -> PhN2Cl + PhNH2 + H2O
PhN2Cl + PhNH2 -> Aniline Yellow + HCl

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 24-10-2017 at 18:15

Ummm. Not sure that precipitation of the Benzene Diazonium Chloride salt actually results in detonation.

I've seen some procedures for intentionally precipitating this salt, and isolating it as an intermediate. Authors do make it clear however, not to "jostle" the crystals or allow the precipitated material to actually become "dry".

Also of note, converting the Benzene Diazonium Chloride salt to the Tetrafluoroborate salt, is supposed to produce a solid that can safely be handled. Somewhere, I have a paper on the subject.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/cutting-edge-ch...

Question...You were following a published procedure, that instructed you to pour your Aniline solution INTO your Nitrite solution? Seems backwards.

[Edited on 25-10-2017 by zed]

[Edited on 25-10-2017 by zed]

Go To Top