Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crystals and Organic Compounds
7lanthanum
Harmless

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 28-7-2016 at 02:51
Crystals and Organic Compounds

Hi,

I just finished growing a crystal of potassium nickel sulfate and I was wondering, would dipping it in an organic compound such as glycerol, hexane or benzene prevent it from drying out and be touchable without irritating the skin? I heard people saying that this can be done instead of covering the crystal with clear nail polish. Is this true? I don't want to use nail polish since you can see the brush strokes on the crystal. Also, if this is true, can you recommend me a liquid organic compound to cover the crystal with?

[Edited on 28-7-2016 by 7lanthanum]
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 28-7-2016 at 07:30

From what I have gathered, nickel compounds aren't something you necessarily want to handle, or least that is my impression from my readings. I don't know about the double salt, though.

Something like this might work.

Clear Acrylic Spray Paint
http://www.michaels.com/krylon-acrylic-crystal-clear/1052010...
7lanthanum
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-7-2016 at 14:16

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
From what I have gathered, nickel compounds aren't something you necessarily want to handle, or least that is my impression from my readings. I don't know about the double salt, though.

Something like this might work.

Clear Acrylic Spray Paint
http://www.michaels.com/krylon-acrylic-crystal-clear/1052010...

Thanks for your suggestion, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. You didnt't answer my questions though.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 28-7-2016 at 15:40

To answer your question, no. Applying a volatile organic solvent such as hexane or benzene would do nothing, because it would simply evaporate. Glycerol would not stick to the crystal and wouldn't dry to form a protective layer.

I think that Loptr's suggestion is actually exactly what you're looking for. It provides the same function as colorless nail polish (a protective clear coat preventing skin contact with the actual crystal) and avoids undesirable brush marks. Linseed oil may be another possibility, though that would come with the side-effect of making everything that you coat with it fluorescent!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
7lanthanum
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-7-2016 at 23:50

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
To answer your question, no. Applying a volatile organic solvent such as hexane or benzene would do nothing, because it would simply evaporate. Glycerol would not stick to the crystal and wouldn't dry to form a protective layer.

I think that Loptr's suggestion is actually exactly what you're looking for. It provides the same function as colorless nail polish (a protective clear coat preventing skin contact with the actual crystal) and avoids undesirable brush marks. Linseed oil may be another possibility, though that would come with the side-effect of making everything that you coat with it fluorescent!

It's NOT what I'm looking for because you cant't get it here where I live.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 07:00

Well, that's not the only product that is capable of applying a clear coat without brush marks.

Where at in Europe are you located? I picked the UK as an example. If you can't find what you need through Google, paint store, arts and crafts shop, then I don't know how else to help you. Clear acrylic spray paint isn't only available in the USA. :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3...

I also tend to post replies to help give the original poster some ideas, as I might not have an exact solution, but a pretty good idea of what might work. The clear acrylic spray paint was my suggestion, not the specific product I posted.

[Edited on 29-7-2016 by Loptr]
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 08:38

Quote: Originally posted by 7lanthanum  
Hi,

I just finished growing a crystal of potassium nickel sulfate and I was wondering, would dipping it in an organic compound such as glycerol, hexane or benzene prevent it from drying out and be touchable without irritating the skin? I heard people saying that this can be done instead of covering the crystal with clear nail polish. Is this true? I don't want to use nail polish since you can see the brush strokes on the crystal. Also, if this is true, can you recommend me a liquid organic compound to cover the crystal with?

If you have access to acetone or other solvent then the nail polish can be applied without brush marks.

The trick is to thin the nail polish right down with acetone or whatever, then DIP the crystal in, if you make the polish thin enough you get a very thin coating that dries pretty quickly as the thinner evaporates.

Best to practice a couple of times by dunk other things in, I had some small rocks that were a nice colour/pattern when wet but plain and boring when dry, i did the same with them. No brush marks but took a few goes to get the polish the right consistency, for me this turned out to be pretty thin!
7lanthanum
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 11:13

I'm going to try that. Thanks :)

[Edited on 29-7-2016 by 7lanthanum]
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 15:14

OK, KNi sulfate but what Ni sulfate (II) or (III) ?

Not all people are allergic to Ni...to bad Europe has used that argument to reduce the Ni amount into coins...in Belgium we had, before the Euro coins, a beautiful 50FB (Belgian Franc) coin of 7g pure silvery Nickel (2 cm diameter and about 2.5 mm thickness) ...I made use of it a lot for my chem experiments involving Nickel...now those days are gone, you have to extract Ni form 1 Euro or 2 Euro coins and separate it from the other metals :( or to buy directly Ni salts.

Aceton may solubilize your salt so make a tiny test with a little cristal.

You could make a protective layer with aceton polystyrene (from many food packages (youghourt for example) or from styrofoam /frigolite what is expanded polystyrene)...if aceton is unsuitable, you could use toluene.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 16:01

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  

Ni(III) is very unstable. I doubt it forms a sulphate, and if it does, it's not going to be stable in aqueous solution.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 16:32

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

Ni(III) is very unstable. I doubt it forms a sulphate, and if it does, it's not going to be stable in aqueous solution.

:o:o:o:o:o
What would be its decomposition products?
I don't see an oxydoredox happening from Ni(3+) and H2O or SO4(2-) so you propose Ni(OH)3 and H2SO4?

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 29-7-2016 at 16:37

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

:o:o:o:o:o
What would be its decomposition products?
I don't see an oxydoredox happening from Ni(3+) and H2O or SO4(2-) so you propose Ni(OH)3 and H2SO4?

Like cobalt(III), it would oxidize the water and give off oxygen.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
7lanthanum
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-7-2016 at 00:30

Not all people are allergic to Ni...to bad Europe has used that argument to reduce the Ni amount into coins...in Belgium we had, before the Euro coins, a beautiful 50FB (Belgian Franc) coin of 7g pure silvery Nickel (2 cm diameter and about 2.5 mm thickness) ...I made use of it a lot for my chem experiments involving Nickel...now those days are gone, you have to extract Ni form 1 Euro or 2 Euro coins and separate it from the other metals :( or to buy directly Ni salts.

Aceton may solubilize your salt so make a tiny test with a little cristal.

You could make a protective layer with aceton polystyrene (from many food packages (youghourt for example) or from styrofoam /frigolite what is expanded polystyrene)...if aceton is unsuitable, you could use toluene.

I'm using Ni(II). Thanks for your help, I'm going to try it with toluene.

[Edited on 30-7-2016 by 7lanthanum]

Go To Top