Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unknown (for me) reaction help!
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 05:53
Unknown (for me) reaction help!

Some SM members are efficiently promoting the prepchem website, so efficiently that finally I also registered and browsed the site "just for fun".

While I was checking the various preparations I came across a synthesis of diethylamine which I found strange and intriguing.

It starts from N,N-diethylaniline and treats it with NaNO2/acid in the first step (making p-nitroso-aniline) then in a second step this nitroso compound is treated with NaOH and boiled/distilled. In the distillate there is diethylamine with a good yield.

Could someone shed light on the mechanism of this 2nd step reaction? Is it a simple nucleophilic substitution? A nitroso group makes it (obviously) possible but does it mean that another EWG (e.g. nitro or CF3 group) would be OK in the 4-position or am I overlooking something? What remains in the pot? p-nitroso-phenol sodium salt?

Thanks for the help!
Pumukli
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 10:37

Meanwhile I found this reaction described in Organikum. Apparently it is a well-known (and important) synthesis method of aliphatic secondary amines according to the book.

Go To Top