Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ascorbic acid extraction
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2016 at 07:28
Ascorbic acid extraction

I want to extract it from orange juice.
Already tried. Attempt failed. To dirty.
It's water soluble?

I did both, water, and alcohol after. Then added few drops of NaOH in both, and evaporated it to concentrate, and left, for crystallization. Didn't see any crystals, instead a lot of oily substance dried out.

Is there a way of cleaning vitamin C before salting out?

[Edited on 15-2-2016 by Romix]
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

[*] posted on 15-2-2016 at 07:32

I remember, solution can be separated into layers, water and benzene like solvent, can't remember, what goes where.
Can you remind me it, please.

[Edited on 15-2-2016 by Romix]
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
15-2-2016 at 07:33
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-2-2016 at 07:50

Good luck. An orange only has about 43mg of ascorbic acid in it, a few grams of citric acid, and a lot of sugars. Ascorbic acid is soluble in 3 parts water and it's salts are more soluble still. Heating the orange juice to reduce volume destroys ascorbic acid content.

You'd be much better off starting from a Vitamin C tablet. A single tablet usually has 500mg to 1g of ascorbic acid and only a small number of binders. Even better, just buy the pure compound. It's not expensive.

If you just want to do a natural products isolation, you might try precipitating the calcium salt of citric acid out of freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice that has been filtered, regenerating the acid with sulfuric acid, filtering off the gypsum, and crystallizing it.

Go To Top