Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Do calcium hydroxide react with aluminum sulfate?
bluamine
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-12-2015 at 12:10

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
What possible clandestine use does alumina have?

Also thanks gdflp, I thought calcium sulfate was the nigh-insoluble one.

I always loved your videos on YouTube, & this is the first time I see you here on this blessed forum. Mrhomescienrist allow me to talk to you a little in french: je vous tire Mon chapeau. Well I see all of you are asking about my purpose.. Here is my answer: I will use it mainly to make some acid resistant ceramic, because I will use some acids such as HF in some of my applications. I know some of you will say to me you can just buy it, believe me I can't find such a thing in stores.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-12-2015 at 13:50

Thanks! Always glad to hear someone's seen my videos, and I appreciate the compliments. I actually haven't been in the lab in quite a while.

I'm not sure why AJ is so suspicious. I've never heard of alumina being used for anything nefarious.

Hopefully you're aware, but I feel obligated to give the warning anyway: HF is extremely dangerous stuff. Very small amounts spilled on the skin can and will kill you. Any noticeable effects may be delayed up to a few days, by which time it is too late to save your life. I highly, highly suggest avoiding this chemical in a home lab setting. If you feel compelled to use it, you must buy some calcium gluconate gel. In case of spills, immediately apply to the affected area then immediately go to the hospital anyway.
An acid-resistant ceramic might not be necessary; most uses of HF work perfectly well in plastic HDPE beakers.
bluamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-12-2015 at 14:35

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Thanks! Always glad to hear someone's seen my videos, and I appreciate the compliments. I actually haven't been in the lab in quite a while.

I'm not sure why AJ is so suspicious. I've never heard of alumina being used for anything nefarious.

Hopefully you're aware, but I feel obligated to give the warning anyway: HF is extremely dangerous stuff. Very small amounts spilled on the skin can and will kill you. Any noticeable effects may be delayed up to a few days, by which time it is too late to save your life. I highly, highly suggest avoiding this chemical in a home lab setting. If you feel compelled to use it, you must buy some calcium gluconate gel. In case of spills, immediately apply to the affected area then immediately go to the hospital anyway.
An acid-resistant ceramic might not be necessary; most uses of HF work perfectly well in plastic HDPE beakers.

Thanks for advices. I do already know that HF is very dangerous, fluorine itsself is poisonous, but I thought before that a diluted sodium bicarbonate solution is enough to prevent any side effects..
HF is not the only acid I will use (HF is what I need to get calcium fluoride & magnesium fluoride to be clear to prevent any suspicious ideas can enter someone's brain) I have also nitric acid which can't even be stored in somethibg plastic made (though it doesn't react with silicon), in addition some reactions using such acids are endothermic or exothermic to a point that can make you fear about it (for example reaction between nitric acid & sugar to make oxalic acid). This is why I want to have an acid-resistant (& heat redistant) ceramic

[Edited on 1-12-2015 by bluamine]

[Edited on 1-12-2015 by bluamine]
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 1-12-2015 at 15:36

Here is something that may be helpful, "The thermal decomposition of aluminium sulfate", by T.J. TruexR.H., Hammerle and R.A. Armstrong. To quote the abstract:

"The mechanism of thermal decomposition of aluminum sulfate has been investigated in the 500–700°C temperature range using a flow reactor system with the emitted gaseous sulfur oxides collected in a Goksøyr—Ross coil and a hydrogen peroxide impinger. Sulfur trioxide (SO3) was found to be the primary sulfur oxide released during thermal decomposition (1). Less than 3% of the released sulfur oxides were sulfur dioxide (SO2), indicating that the SO3 dissociation reaction (2) is slow relative to the residence time of the SO3 in the reactor (∼ 1 sec). The experimental technique should be readily adaptable to the study of the thermal decomposition of other metal sulfates."

Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/00406031778...

Also, of possible interest, "Thermal Decomposition of Aluminum Sulfate and Hafnium Sulfate", by H.A. Papazian, P.J. Pizzolato and R.R. Orrell, to quote from abstract:

"The thermal decomposition of aluminum sulfate and hafnium sulfate was studied in air by thermogravimetric analysis (TG) and in vacuum by simultaneous TG and evolved gas analysis (EGA). No SO3 was detected by the mass spectrometer. The primary products of decomposition appear to be SO and O2 for both sulfates. For aluminum I sulfate, the Arrhenius relationship shows two activation energies, whereas for hafnium sulfate there is only 'one activation energy in vacuum and two activation energies in air. X-ray data show the solid products of the reaction to be η-Al2O3 and HfO2. "
Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040603172...
bluamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 03:32

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
Here is something that may be helpful, "The thermal decomposition of aluminium sulfate", by T.J. TruexR.H., Hammerle and R.A. Armstrong. To quote the abstract:

"The mechanism of thermal decomposition of aluminum sulfate has been investigated in the 500–700°C temperature range using a flow reactor system with the emitted gaseous sulfur oxides collected in a Goksøyr—Ross coil and a hydrogen peroxide impinger. Sulfur trioxide (SO3) was found to be the primary sulfur oxide released during thermal decomposition (1). Less than 3% of the released sulfur oxides were sulfur dioxide (SO2), indicating that the SO3 dissociation reaction (2) is slow relative to the residence time of the SO3 in the reactor (∼ 1 sec). The experimental technique should be readily adaptable to the study of the thermal decomposition of other metal sulfates."

Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/00406031778...

Also, of possible interest, "Thermal Decomposition of Aluminum Sulfate and Hafnium Sulfate", by H.A. Papazian, P.J. Pizzolato and R.R. Orrell, to quote from abstract:

"The thermal decomposition of aluminum sulfate and hafnium sulfate was studied in air by thermogravimetric analysis (TG) and in vacuum by simultaneous TG and evolved gas analysis (EGA). No SO3 was detected by the mass spectrometer. The primary products of decomposition appear to be SO and O2 for both sulfates. For aluminum I sulfate, the Arrhenius relationship shows two activation energies, whereas for hafnium sulfate there is only 'one activation energy in vacuum and two activation energies in air. X-ray data show the solid products of the reaction to be η-Al2O3 and HfO2. "
Link: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040603172...

Should I heat it more if I need γ alumina?
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 05:56

Here is a link discussing forms of Al2O3:

http://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_difference_betw...

[Edited on 2-12-2015 by AJKOER]
bluamine
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-12-2015 at 09:33

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
Here is a link discussing forms of Al2O3:

http://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_difference_betw...

[Edited on 2-12-2015 by AJKOER]

Unfortunately I guess all informations on the link above are about physical properties in the microscopic level. I read on Wikipedia that γ alumina is acid-resistant & α alumina is not. This is why I prefer γ alumina, but because I am lazy, I would choose α alumina for some other applications ;)
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
3-12-2015 at 11:16
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top