Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AgO2 Any Suggestions
Profikiskery
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 23:03
AgO2 Any Suggestions

Have about one ounce of AgO2 and want to recover the Ag. My thoughts were to dissolve the AgO2 in HNO3 and then precipitate the Ag with Cu.

I am new to dealing with AgO2 and am open to ideas. Is there any respectable amount of Ag in there?

Thanks
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 23:19

Quote: Originally posted by Profikiskery  
Have about one ounce of AgO2 and want to recover the Ag. My thoughts were to dissolve the AgO2 in HNO3 and then precipitate the Ag with Cu.

I am new to dealing with AgO2 and am open to ideas. Is there any respectable amount of Ag in there?

Thanks

Do you mean Ag2O?
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
1-4-2015 at 23:55
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 00:22

It should work I think. I haven't done much with silver either but the theory looks sound.

Ag2O + 2HNO3 = 2AgNO3 + H2O

2AgNO3 + Cu = Cu(NO3)2 + 2Ag

You can do an equation to determine to theoretical maximum yield of Silver from one ounce of Silver(I) Oxide. That will give you a good indication of how much Ag you will get.

[Edited on 2-4-2015 by TheAustralianScientist]

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 01:10

Try adding aqueous H2O2 to the Ag2O. H2O2 reduces the oxide:

Ag2O + H2O2 --> 2Ag + H2O + O2

Sometimes H2O2 (quite surprisingly) acts as a reductor.

It is important that the Ag2O is powdered very finely, otherwise a thin layer of Ag may block further access to Ag2O, deeper inside the particles.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 02:48

Well, you could do it the hard way, or you could put it in a tin lid and heat it over a candle flame.
Profikiskery
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 21:22

I apologize...Ag2o is what I meant indeed. I have stumbled across a way to remove silver plate using only H2o as an electrolyte in a cell. The results are quite intriguing. The Ag turns colloidal in about 90 seconds. So far have yielded about 7.5 grams of what I think is Ag2o. There is a lot going on in there I am not sure of, but feel positive about the results.

I can't believe tap water and a little current is stripping off the Ag but it is!! I think I will stick with my original plan and see what I can learn.

The candle and tin lid is a novel idea....but I think I might just end up with a very hot tin lid with Ag2o in it. My goal is to separate the Ag and I just don't see potential there, but if you care to elaborate I am all ears to any helpful ideas.

Thank you all in advance and look forward to sharing ideas.

Craig
Volanschemia
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pretty much all of them!

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 21:54

Silver(I) Oxide begins to decompose to O2 and Ag from 200C. I think that is what unionised was talking about.

That may work but you can't be sure that it has all decomposed. You could separate any leftover Silver(I) Oxide by dumping the lot into cold Nitric Acid, which react with the oxide but leave the silver.

This kind of defeats the purpose of the tin and candle being easier if you are after purity, so personally I would go with your original plan or woelen's idea.

Your method of stripping silver is very interesting! I will have to try it myself.

"The chemists are a strange class of mortals, impelled by an almost insane impulse to seek their pleasures amid smoke and vapor, soot and flame, poisons and poverty; yet among all these evils I seem to live so sweetly that may I die if I were to change places with the Persian king" - Johann Joachim Becher, 1635 to 1682.
Profikiskery
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 00:33

Join in!! Here are the specifics I have so far.

Silver cell is a pickle jar about 3/4 full of tap water. Cathode is a large silver plated ladle. Anodes have been various silver plated flatware.

Voltage is set at 15.00 and amps start at 0.00 but increase as Ag turns colloidal.

Ok now to the process .

1.Fill jar about 3-5 inches from the top so you have plenty of room for rinsing periodically .
2.Clamp Anode and Cathode to jar (Leave Anode+ half out of water helps deplate better).Do not let your clamps touch the water.
3.Make sure that Anode and Cathode are across from one another ,not side by side.
4.Turn power supply on,after about 1 1/2 minutes you should start seeing the silver coming off in a cloudy stream.
5.After it runs for a hour or two the cell will start to get real cloudy and by this time you,ll start to see growth on the anode (don,t panic) just power the cell off .
6.Use spray bottle and tooth brush to clean Anode (Make sure to do this back into the cell).Do not clean Cathode.
7.Flip Anode around so deplated end is sticking out of water and reclamp, and turn power back on.
8.When second half is done , turn power off ,unclamp Anode and use it to stir the cell for about a minute then clean second half of Anode then replace with new Anode.Continue steps 2-8 Until step 9 comes into play.
9.When water is almost to the top near clamp, power down remove and clean current Anode,remove and spray only the Cathode(You want Cathode to stay tarnished black).
10.Now that cell is pregnant filter all liquid through 3 stacked coffee filters 1 time only.
11.Rinse black powder in filter with spray bottle, dry till it hardens then save for bigger melt.
12.Now refill cell with the same fluid you filtered and start again,except now you can leave Anode in for longer time period and let the growth grow longer before cleanings.

unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 01:43

Quote: Originally posted by TheAustralianScientist  

That may work but you can't be sure that it has all decomposed. .

Unless you know how to heat something to constant weight.
Though, once it's red hot, the oxide will all be gone.
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 01:46

Quote: Originally posted by Profikiskery  
about 7.5 grams of what I think is Ag2o.

Why do you think it's Ag2O ?
brubei
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 02:46

good question
Profikiskery
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 22:05

I don't KNOW that it is Ag2O for sure. This is all new to me but it is working.

Today I tried a bit of a different approach. I used a graphite cathode with 15 Volts and .002 Amps. The anode was just silverplated flatware. The cathode clouded up with a white haze that seemed to be a gas...it was milky. The water PH shot up from 6.6 to 7.3. My anode got really dark but had no "gas" like the cathode. There was no odor and my guess is it H2 at the cathode. Initially you get a white powder that turns dark which is leads me to believe AgCl is present for sure, but again a guess. Got a lot of black particles floating around in the electrolyte.

It looks like the cathode oxidizes any thing that touches it to oxides, and they are not soluble so they are out of the system. I think the PH goes up because H2 is lost, and lost Cl to AgCl, so the small bit of sodium chloride makes some NaOH until no chlorides are left. Its a big ole salad!!

Now I am thinking the mud is likely a mixture of AgCl with bits of AgNo3 and Ag2So4. They cement back, Ag oxidizes and silver in elemental form comes off and gets trapped in the instable hydroxyl and eases over to the cathode. Once the silver gets stripped you are going to get some copper or nickel or zinc I am sure.

If that's the case than this is a great method because it doesn't choose. The nascent O2 just catches the next atom it meets.

All of this is just my best guess as to what I am seeing.

Join in on the fun....its cheap, safe and shows potential.

Profikiskery
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-4-2015 at 23:23

ATTENTION MODERATORS.

Please remove or delete this thread. Upfront I do not post often at all just mostly read. This is a project my 15 year old and me are working on and he has taken advantage of the access I let him have to this forum. He has copied stuff from other forums I am reading about and put them in here. Everything posted is all the things he has pieced together from other posts in other forums. I think he really is trying to learn but went about it the wrong way. He did put up some of the stuff we read about to start our cell but all the rest of the stuff is not at all what we know. Trust me we know nothing. Kind of embarrassing but I just became aware of what he was up to. It will not happen anymore.

Go To Top