Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Nitric Acid that is Concentrated "Enough"
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 02:26
Nitric Acid that is Concentrated "Enough"

Super simple and easy question:
I have a bottle of nitric acid that I have titrated to be 13.5molar. That comes out to be around 63% nitric acid. My question is if it will be concentrated enough more most nitrations, synthesis etc. If not then I plan to distill it and hope for the best. Do you think I could safely distill it inside my well ventilated lab with a hose on the vacuum adapter leading outside?

Thanks.
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 02:30

Do please be aware the azeotrope of HNO3 is about 68%. I suggest doing some research to find ways around this limit.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 02:57

I may not have explained myself very well, what I mean is that is it ok to use the 63% acid when "Concentrated Nitric Acid" is needed?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 03:52

Sorry, the answer really IS that you need to do more research.

There is a TON of information on nitration parameters and how to achieve desired concentrations available here and elsewhere- You had best consider your question on a case by case basis, there is no hard and fast rule on what concentration is required. If you find description of a procedure that merely says "concentrated nitric acid" without such information as specific gravity, %, degrees Baum- look further.

Depending on temperature and in some cases quantity of dehydrating agents such as sulfuric acid or Phosphorus pentoxide, 63% nitric acid could be used to make various grades of nitrocellulose, mono or dinitrotoluenes, lower nitrated napthalenes, nitroglycerin, PETN. Won't be much good for many other products such as TNT or RDX, although it would serve to synthesize hexamine dinitrate to be used as an RDX precursor.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 30-3-2015 at 10:50

It depends on the specific reaction you want to do, which is what Bert's getting at.

68% should dissolve copper nicely, but that 32% water may well interfere horribly in one of those Dark Arcane OC reactions, whose name cannot be uttered lest he appear, and explode.

Go To Top