Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Activated Charcoal
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-11-2014 at 10:55

@Blogfast. I should not deviate from topic.....I know, though running the cold water tap fast smells exactly the same as opening up a bottle of bleach, that I will say.
Good News: I have found these excellent references on measuring the carbon pores, well within my reach to work on, I only put them here in case others might be reading: I can't obviously employ the nitrogen gas, but the iodine capacity number looks interesting.

http://www.cefic.org/Documents/Other/Test-method-for-Activat...
http://www.filtrextechnologies.com/acproperties.htm

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2014 at 11:15

Chris:

Why not turn it into small project, those chlorine concerns?

Look at this kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watersafe-Drinking-Water-All-in-On...

Although I cannot vouch for the validity of obtained results, I feel it would be good enough to compare raw tap water, post-Brita tap water, a good quality bottled water and a good quality deionised water, for some decent, relative data.

Total solids meters (conductivity meters, pen type) are also cheaply available from loads of eBay sellers.

Peace of mind plus scientific corroboration of your concerns, what's not to like? :)

Activated carbon was once available from pharmacies, brand name 'Norit', if I recall well. Dirt cheap too...

CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-11-2014 at 11:37

It's no concern I have. Just the chemistry and the possibility that I can create something to replace buying it..and thankyou for the link

[Edited on 23-11-2014 by CHRIS25]

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top