Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pH buffer solutions for probes
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 06:00
pH buffer solutions for probes

Hi
I have a pH probe, it came with a bottle that the end of the probe sits in when not in use, any idea what chemical is best to use for this? it isnt dry yet but I want to use fresh solution.
The other things is what are the best solutions to use to calibrate the probe? its for use in my fermenter mostly but other applications as well.
thanks
LG
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 07:07

Generally it is a ~4M aqueous KCl solution to prevent the probe from drying out. To calibrate the probe, try searching "pH calibration solution" there are many different cheap solutions available.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 10:53

Potassium hydrogen phthalate solution and deionized water are two reliable standards. Most inexpensive probes only have one calibration point. More expensive ones can have two or three. Potassium hydrogen phthalate solution is also used as storage solution for some probes.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 12:01

Thanks, I am pretty sure its a decent probe, I got it as a freebie in a philip harris fementer kit.
I wasnt surewhat the solution was that the probe is kept in. I will have a look on ebay for some calibration fluid, i was curious as to what they use
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 12:32

As calibration solutions you can use saturated solutions of borax pH 9.32 ) and cream of tartar (pH 3.567)
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac60010a017
http://www.borax.com/docs/product_pdfs_data/pds-borates-bora...
both are easy to get and cheap.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 14:33

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
I wasnt surewhat the solution was that the probe is kept in.

I keep mine in deionised water. Seems to work fine. If you don't use the probe often you'll need to calibrate it each time before use.

macckone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 16:58

Some probes are ruined by deionized water. Without knowing the exact probe, picking a storage solution is difficult.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 01:32

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
As calibration solutions you can use saturated solutions of borax pH 9.32 ) and cream of tartar (pH 3.567)
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ac60010a017
http://www.borax.com/docs/product_pdfs_data/pds-borates-bora...
both are easy to get and cheap.

I have those on hand so will give it a go
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 01:34

I just assumed probes were pretty much the same! all I know is it came with a philip harris fermenter kit and has a glass bulb on the end and the probe has a liquid inside it, I also have a JBL pH probe for my fish tank, its part of a co2 system for my planted fish tank, But I dont use it now as I foundthey grow better with the co2 from ethanol production!
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 05:48

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
I just assumed probes were pretty much the same!

If by 'probes' we mean combination glass electrodes specifically for pH measurement, then yes, they are all pretty much the same. Deionised water or dilute KCl should work just for storage.

Those pen type pH probes most people use all come with DIW as recommended storage liquid, AFAIK.

macckone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 08:25

Hanna instruments recommends pH 4 solution for storage. This is potassium hydrogen phthalate solution. In there care instructions they say in big bold letters and all caps DO NO STORE YOUR PROBE IN DISTILLED WATER.

Fischer scientific has the same recommendations. They also describe the various types, gel filled, calomel, silver chloride and solid state. They use italics and say never store an electrode in distilled or deionized water.

Cole Palmer recommends 4M KCl solution for storage and also states partially in caps DO NOT store electrode in distilled or deionized water.

MRC lab recommends pH 4 with KCl and sodium generate but does not recommend against distilled water.

In short different manufacturers recommend different storage conditions. I am sure some may even recommend distilled water but a number indicate that is bad.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 10:43

"sodium generate"?

Both my pen types recommended DIW. Both still function well after years of often abuse, frankly speaking.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 10:49

You could always test the solution! Silver nitrate to test for chloride and flame test for potassium color. In my limited experience with probes, they've always had KCl as the solution.
macckone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
"sodium generate"?

Both my pen types recommended DIW. Both still function well after years of often abuse, frankly speaking.

That should be sodium benzoate. My post was attacked by spell correct on my tablet.

If they recommend deionized water, that is what should be used, but if they say DO NOT use it in bold or italics it is probably best not to use it.

My point is that different probes recommend different solutions. Most (but not all) pen type probes are gel type or FET type and what little ghost has is probably silver-chloride. Unless it is fairly old, a calomel probe would have a mercury warning. My guess is that it requires either pH 4 or KCl storage solution. With KCl being a safe bet.

Testing the remaining storage solution is one good way of determining if it is potassium hydrogen phthalate or KCl or DIW. If the pH is 4 then it is the potassium hydrogen phthalate buffer, if it precipitates silver chloride with silver nitrate then it is KCl assuming the pH is close to 7, otherwise it is likely DIW.

As far as I know all storage solutions are pretty much one of those. Although as MRC states their solution contains KCl and sodium benzoate as additives. I assume other solutions my have additives to prevent bacteria growth as well.

Additional note, if it came with a sponge type storage case then you would add deionized or distilled water because the KCl or pH 4 buffer doesn't evaporate. This is not the same as storing it in DIW.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 14:27

"Spell Correct" has never worked properly, and caused of the demise of the modern Witch (or Warlock).

Nothing goes worse than a Spell that should to change a Toad into a Prince and ends up making a Traffic Warden.

Lacks the p'zazz.

I blame it all on the Tablet Kings, aka Glaxo.

macckone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 18:38

Sodium benzoate being replaced by sodium generate could be pretty bad too when you add water.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-10-2014 at 00:32

The solution it sits in is a kind of dark grey almost black. the solution actually inside the probe is clear, there was a Hanna probe here but its been with out any storage solution fr a very long time.

Go To Top