Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Anything worth extracting from modulen?
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 10:16
Anything worth extracting from modulen?

Hi
Ok really strange question so I will explain.....
Because of my illness and treatment I am not Allowed to eat ANY food. My sole diet consist of a complete food powder called modulen, I am lucky in that I can have it as a fluid I make up then drink, I am not allowed ANY other food stuff's and only allowed to drink water.
It has become difficult for me to keep this stuff down after 8 months on it. They could feed it to me via a tube into my stomach, but my doctor says this stuff is prone to blocking tubes. So anyway I am being put on something else that is easier to tube feed me.
So I am now in the situation that I have around 200 cans (400g each) of this stuff, the hospital cannot take it back (rules) so it has to be thrown away and destroyed.
I was using around 1.9 cans a day hence why so many here.
Now this is a complete nutrition substance not a supplement. Indeed I have lived solely off this and water for 8 months.
Anyway it has the following ingredients

Glucose syrup, casein, sucrose, milk fat, medium chain triglycerides, corn oil, emulsifier: soya lecithin, potassium citrate, calcium phosphate, sodium citrate, calcium carbonate, magnesium chloride, acidity regulator: potassium hydroxide, potassium chloride, vitamins: C, E, niacin, pantothenic acid, B6, thiamin (B1), A, riboflavin (B2), D, folic acid, K, biotin, B12; choline bitartrate, ferrous sulphate, zinc sulphate, magnesium oxide, manganese sulphate, copper sulphate, sodium molybdate, potassium iodide, chromium chloride, sodium selenate. Clinically nil lactose. Gluten free.

is there anything there worth going after and trying to extract? I figure with 200 tins I might as well have some fun and get something from it lol.

The link to the page that gives info on amounts etc about it is here (sorry I couldnt post the pic so gave a link instead)
http://www.nestlehealthscience.co.uk/products/modulen-ibd

If there is nothing of interest there I will just get it dumped (waste of money or what!). But this might offer a chance to practice/learn something :D
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 17:08

personally, I don't think any thing there would be fun to get at... lots of work and probably in SMALL amounts. I'd say, maybe compost it for your yard?? and recycle the tins.

if you don't mind me asking,.. what is the ailment/injury that necessitated that? sounds less than thrilling to be stuck on ONE food source. but at least it is ONE that you can have as opposed to none. ( if it is something kinda personal, don't even worry about sharing, just curious )

-Violet Sin-
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 17:40

I think I understand the situation, and I'm sorry that you have to deal with it. It looks like most of the ingredients are pretty common and obtained more easily from other sources.

The stuff probably keeps for a long time. Just hang onto it and use it every now and then for when you feel like eating something.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 23:22

Hi.
I had a U2U so it seems that some info is missing!
Under my other name I gave an introduction when I joined, Anyway as people tend to do I, I wrongly assumed that everyone knew my situation.
I have cancer, its one reason I get A lot of time off School. It started in the bones (we think), but anyway Its also in my bowel. Much of that has been taken away. I cant eat normal food anymore and so I have the stuff they use in feed tubes.
Its a shame there is nothing worth trying to get at lol, I thought I would ask just in case. You guy seem to get so many chemicals from the strangest places, The taste should have told me that gunk is gunk whatever the label says lol.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 27-9-2014 at 14:20

One substance that you can extract Easily from the cans is Money.

Stick 'em on Ebay at £10 each + postage :-

"These are Cans of a 100% Scientifically Formulated Food Source proven to supply ALL of your dietry needs.

Designed for Long-term Storage, Metal Shielded (Radiation and Nerve Gas attacks).

An ABSOLUTE Essential for the Serious post-Apocalypse Survivalist

5% off for qtys 5+

200 units only. Get 'em NOW. Stocks Limited due to Government Clampdown on Supply."

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 27-9-2014 at 14:30

great idea to fund other projects aga
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 27-9-2014 at 14:44

A good thing to do would be to calculate how many kg you weigh, and how much is in each tin, and how much you use a day.

The you can say "1 Can Experimentally Proven to support X kg of Human for Y days."

All cash to get re-spent on stuff you want.

Simples.

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 09:24

I use 1.7 tins a day (or did), I have new stuff now :(. This time is tube only with supporting fluids etc via intravenous cannula.
Now I have the extra hassle of making sure my tubes etc are protected when experimenting! My hickman line is directly into an artery! Really makes you focus in the lab lol. I also have a few 'interesting' pain killers! Over and above the normal boring morphine.
So far I havnt found anything interesting I can do with these others yet.
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 13:09

I think casein is pretty interesting. You can make paint, glue, and galalith plastic from it.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 13:41

Did i mention Money ?

All you do is stir the unopened cans into 100w% internet, and allow Free Radicals to purchase them.

Money Crystallises out of Complete Food cans when refluxed in pure ebay @ No Reserve for 7 days.

$0.99 starting price can be used as a catalyst to increase yield by 11.4% (Ref: aga et al 2013)

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 30-9-2014 at 13:47

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Did i mention Money ?

All you do is stir the unopened cans into 100w% internet, and allow Free Radicals to purchase them.

Money Crystallises out of Complete Food cans when refluxed in pure ebay @ No Reserve for 7 days.

$0.99 starting price can be used as a catalyst to increase yield by 11.4% (Ref: aga et al 2013)
I agree. That's probably the most worthwhile use of them. The money could then be used to buy a lot of stuff that would be way more useful to you!

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.

Go To Top