Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Molecular Sensitizes for Dye-Sensitized Devices
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 13:03
Molecular Sensitizes for Dye-Sensitized Devices

Ok so I have been doing some research (googling) on Dye Sensitized solar cells and I began wondering what makes the dye in them so prone to giving up elections upon excitation from light. Which broght me into molecular sensitizers. What I am wondering is how and why molecules like (but not necessarily) ruthenium-polypyridine dye, or copper-diselenium [Cu(In,GA)Se2], or 1-ethyl-3 methylimidazolium tetrocyanoborate [EMIB(CN)4] to name a few work the way they do? What groups in these compounds actually give up an electron? Why is there so much organic "shrubbery" around most of them? What makes one dye better than another?

A nice detailed response or links to some papers would be greatly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 14:08

To answer a small part of your question, one major factor in what makes a good dye is its stability in the presence of UV light. If you make a DSSC with blueberry juice, for example, it does not last very long, from personal experience.
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 14:41

Yeah that do! What would make one more stable in high energy conditions?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 15:22

Simply, one can use UV-blocking glass. This can greatly prolong the life of the dyes. As to the chemistry of it, someone else will have to answer that. It's over my head.
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
10-7-2014 at 12:37

Go To Top