Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: member intro, and beginner questions
organicme
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 01:01
member intro, and beginner questions

Hi everyone, I'm newly registered, but a long time board lurker.

I'm working on some basic lab experiments for fun, and to learn.
For the past few years I've spent much of my spare time reading everything related to chemistry I can get my hands on (gen chem books, organic chem, medicinal chem, etc.) I've think I've retained and comprehended a lot, but I'm sure I'm barely scratching the surface overall. I built up a small lab, nothing elaborate, heating/stirring mantle, distillation glassware, stands, flasks, test tubes, reaction plates, etc.

I hope to engage you fine folks as frequently as possible for input, and appreciate all who help. I feel confident that with the many bright contributors here and the community's collective knowledge I'll learn faster, and do things safely & efficiently. Thanks in advance. In return , you'll get regular updates on my activity (I'll take photos!) ,and humor at my expense (when I ask, say or do stupid things . :)).

I've played with some very basic stuff already, distill water from salt water, ethanol from vodka, steam distillation of herbal oils, and now I wish to move forward.

The first experiment I'd like to work on here is to isolate / purify Acetyl Salicylic Acid from generic excedrin type pills. I will do this on a very small scale, maybe 10 pills or so. Later I will hope to convert ASA to Salicylic Acid, then that to Methyl Salicylate , and also a portion of the SA back to ASA.

That's about where I'm at on the project right now, just mental mapping, gathering options (potential methods, solvents to use, etc), and trying to determine the best way to proceed.
I've been browsing online and there is plenty of info on accomplishing these steps. Priorities for me are to involve the least hazardous chemicals available for the job, preferably chemicals I can buy OTC in small quantities, and at minimal cost.

That 's it for now, will update as I proceed and welcome your input. Thanks.

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by organicme]

organicme
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 02:08

it seems there are 2 very common methods for isolating the aspirin popping up on google results. one using DCM and NaOH, the other ethyl acetate and K2HP04.

I've worked with NaOH solutions before, so feel ok with that aspect. I'm not familiar with ethyl acetate, or K2HP04 at all.

Any reason why I should not choose the DCM + NaOH route over the other, because that is my inclination.

HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 03:43

Check my blog for some info on the extraction/ Hydrolysis. You don't need to expose your self to dichloromethane when you can just use isopropanol. Also, the sodium hydroxide hydrolysis wastes reagents and is more time consuming. Just use HCl. Good luck!

[Edited on 5-6-2014 by HeYBrO]

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 5-6-2014 at 05:28

Did you have this type of lab in mind?

http://www.chem.cuhk.edu.hk/English/RBS6E_Student/Student_Ex...

Or is it more of your intent to acquire a supply of acetyl salycylic acid as a reagent?

As far as micro scale work, it has a place- Especially in energetic materials research. But it requires very precise weighing technique when so little material is involved. What do you have for a scale?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Go To Top