Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: drying agent for silica gel
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 08:59
drying agent for silica gel

I have some silica gel which is washed and sitting in a dessicator bag with NaOH. I had put in NaSO4 anhydrous but that did not seem to absorb anything. I have a reference which advises sodium and calcium sulphate to be used to dry acidic products. Having never made this before has anybody else any tips for drying?

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 09:33

Dry it in an oven at 110 C.
CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 09:49

Oh that simple!

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 09:50

Yep, that's why silica gel is so useful.

CHRIS25
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 11:26

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Yep, that's why silica gel is so useful.
I am aware that you can do this from the beads that you find in the packets. But I could not find any information about how one would dry the synthetic precipitated silica that I recently made, just thought perhaps that the oven was not appropriate at this stage that's all.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 3-4-2014 at 19:14

I don't see why not.

Go To Top