Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Filtering colloidal sludge
testimento
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 23:16
Filtering colloidal sludge

I recently bought some cheap fertilizer which I need to get ammonia compounds out, but the nitrate is, as usual, filled with what seems to be like calcium carbonate, and maybe even with some gelatinizers. I've put a sample in a bottle for gravity filtering, and the colloid just sits there. I've tried using sand filters with two harshness, one with 1-10mm granulates and one with 0.05-0.7mm granulates, but it just stucks up these all. A centrifugal filtering would help, I'm sure, but I dont have a device for making even a small centrifuge(may build one in future, perhaps).

Just a though, does anyone have experience filtering these, probably intentionally difficult-made compositions into clear liquid? The sludge literally clogs all filters within seconds, no matter how harsh they are, a cotton sheet lets few drops of mere moisture through and that's it.

Diatomaceous earth could help. Maybe even some coagulants which would clog the particles into large chunks and fall to the bottom, easy to separate by gravimetric means, this is used in yeast removal from alcohol products.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: corrected subject typo(s)]

[Edited on 7/10/13 by bfesser]
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 00:39

You will need to let it settle down then decant clear solution from above.
testimento
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 01:34

I actually made some tests with following setup:

I first solved it in hot water as far as it go. Then I put a cloth on a bucket with holes at the bottom, poured 5cm layer of fine sand, put another cloth and poured another 5cm layer of harsh sand and poured the shitty gunk on the filter. It drips now at a rate of about 5-10ml per minute, so I should get it done within few hours maybe. Filters havent clogged yet, although I tested if the drip rate would increase by changing the topmost cloth and washing the sand, but it didnt affect it.

I have a batch in few bottles which have settled pretty nicely so far, about 50% settlement done. Wait till it goes down to 70-80% until I flow the top layer and put it through the sand filter.

Btw the sand works like a dream, the liquid coming through is crystal clear. I robbed my local beach armed with buckets, washed the sand thoroughly which removed all water soluble and light enough impurities, then flowed some water through is at filter media, dried it at 350C and filtered it through 1mm mesh net to get 1 grade of 0.05-1mm sand and the leftovers which are coarse stuff. Fine for me not paying shitloads for those quartz filter sands 10 bucks a kg bag for pool filters. :P
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 12:19

I'd experiment a bit with dilute solutions of fertilizer and various coagulants like aluminium sulphate. If the colloid is one of the PEG XXXX type polyols boric acid usually works a treat. Ground chalk is fairly coarse and will usually settle but the PEGs and similar polymers can inhibit this so you will need a coagulant. Other possible coagulants are ammonia, tannin (for protein type and soluble amide polymers), gelatin and isinglass for tannins and a few manmade polyols etc. Try aluminium sulphate first then boric acid, you done need much probably 0.1 or less of the weight of fertilizer, if its not enough you can always repeat the process. Then allow to stand for a few days and finally decant and filter. Keep the solution of fertilizer fairly dilute and then wash the residue and let it settle to recover most of the remaining soluble material.

One other material comes to mind, used by wine makers, is bentonite. This is used in higher concs say about 0.2 to 1%, disperse into water first and then poor into your solution. Don't try to filter this stuff just let it settle for a week or two and decant.

On final idea is to add a collector and then a precipitant, say aluminium sulphate, if no ppt, then add home brew wine makers tannin or isinglass.
testimento
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 16:17

I already filtered it out. :D I just poured it into cotton bag and put it upon the sand filter and clear liquid came through and white paste was left over. Filtered 10 liters of it in 12 hours. I think centrifugal separation could be best, Ive got 1kW electric motor and just need to lathe a joint for 4x2l soda bottles and make it run like hell for a while and it should give nice clear liquid.

Btw...

Does anyone have any ideas how to get urea and ammonium nitrate and potassium nitrate separated from each other?

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by testimento]

[Edited on 11-7-2013 by testimento]

Go To Top