Printable Version  
Author: Subject: serine methyl ester HCl to freebase
peyotepacman
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 09:28
serine methyl ester HCl to freebase

Hi guys

Just thought I'd throw this out there. As part of a total synthesis project, I have serine methyl ester as the hydrochloride salt, and as I would like to do a PMB protection which forms H2O I would like to convert the methyl ester to the freebase, so the PMB protection can be done in toluene and a dean stark.
I have tried washing with Na2CO3 and then extracting with DCM, but the freebase is not present in the organic layer upon removal of the DCM under reduced pressure.

Very stange
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 11:38

Dissolve it in chloroform, or DCM, EtAc or any solvent what is available and add triethylamine. The TEA.HCl could be filtered out and you can get the base easily.

Important to note that if chloroform is used, a little TEA.HCl will left dissolved next to your amino-acid, ester, so it's a good point to mash with a LITTLE cc.Na2SO4 soln of water.

Also other bases could be used, I have made a similar thing TMEDA in CHCl3 not long ago...

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
1-3-2013 at 11:43
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 1-3-2013 at 12:06

Quote: Originally posted by peyotepacman  
I have tried washing with Na2CO3 and then extracting with DCM, but the freebase is not present in the organic layer upon removal of the DCM under reduced pressure.

Very stange

What do you mean strange? The serine methyl ester has the calculated logP(octanol/water) of -1.26 (by ACDlabs). I would find it strange if you would be left with a relevant amount after solvent removal.
Quote: Originally posted by kristofvagyok  
Important to note that if chloroform is used, a little TEA.HCl will left dissolved next to your amino-acid, ester, so it's a good point to mash with a LITTLE cc.Na2SO4 soln of water.

Actually, triethylamine hydrochloride is quite soluble in chloroform and dichloromethane.

To get the free amino ester, you can try stirring the methanolic solution over Na2CO3 for 15 min, then filter and rotavap. If you are lucky, the free base will not decompose that fast and you might be able to transfer it to toluene. Obviously though, it will likely decompose upon heating thereon.
What is the reference that claims such a benzylation to the PMB protected amino ester?

PS: Open threads without references only in the Beginnings section. Please read the forum guidelines for more information.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
peyotepacman
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 08:04

Thanks for the replies. It's been a while since I did any organic chemistry, so I need a few nudges. The LogP value clears up a lot of questions.

I can get the PMB on by doing the reaction in MeOH using Et3N, and reducing the imine with H2, but yeilds are 60% ish after a rather long column as I can't wash with H2O.

Guess that I'll sick with this route.

Thanks again

Go To Top