Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: PET vs. HDPE bottles
mycotheologist
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-4-2012 at 07:30
PET vs. HDPE bottles

I have the urge to look for the recycling code on every plastic container I come across and I've noticed that clear, transparent plastic bottles:

are always made of PET whereas HDPE bottles/containers are never fully transparent but instead look like this:

would I be right in assuming its impossible or impractical to make clear, translucent HDPE containers, whereas it can be done with PET? As a chemistry hobbyist, I'm a big fan of HDPE due to its chemical resistance and so far, I've found no uses for PET. I read that PET is highly impermeable to CO2 which makes it ideal for storing carbonated drinks but does it have any advantages over HDPE for the home chemist?
Nicodem
Super Moderator
Thread Moved
16-4-2012 at 07:33
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 16-4-2012 at 09:07

Not relevant to the topic, but Nicodem I think this thread was more suited where it was . . .just MO:)

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2012 at 09:21

For storage, I don't believe so. But as feedstock, sure: you can depolymerize the PET. There's a decent post about it in Prepublication.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2012 at 17:32

One thing I don't like about HDPE is that it yellows over time moreso if exposed to sunlight. LDPE doesn't do that. I have some thick-walled 4 liter bottles I bought, 6 of each. They are shaped like the ones here with the blue liquid.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23612

Go To Top