Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hexamine complex with copper?
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 15:43
Hexamine complex with copper?

Today I tried to make a complex of copper and hexamine by mixing a concentrated copper sulfate and hexamine sol. together. It did make a precipitate but it look more to copper hydroxide than a copper complex. (I will test the precipitate for hydroxide in 1hour). Wath could be the reaction equation if it is copper hydroxide that precipitated? (I'm not very good in organic chemistry.)

[Edited on 26-2-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 17:09

The precipitate dissolve easily in NaHSO4 and give a blue solution. I would like to know how hexamine ionise in water.

Thanks!!

I never asked for this.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 26-2-2012 at 19:10

I suspect that you are barking up the wrong tree.
Here is a preparation of a hexamethylenetetramine complex of copper;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2971390/

[Edited on 27-2-2012 by ScienceSquirrel]
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-2-2012 at 17:13

So hexamine make complex with copper , but it does not explain how hexamine ionise in water, it will help me to understand the way hexamine complex with copper. Next week I will be in the scool break week so I will do more research about this complex.

[Edited on 28-2-2012 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 28-2-2012 at 03:36

There is a methyl hexamine dichromate as well as a perchlorate which might be interesting. See US1336709 attached

Attachment: US1336709 methyl hexamine perchlorate.pdf (189kB)
This file has been downloaded 635 times

Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-2-2012 at 06:51

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
So hexamine make complex with copper , but it does not explain how hexamine ionise in water, it will help me to understand the way hexamine complex with copper.

In some aspects, hexamine behaves like a tertiary amine, however it is a weak base (its pKa1 is just slightly lower than for ammonia).
I doubt it is a good enough ligand for Cu(II) in order to compete with H2O, so what you obtained is unlikely to be a Cu(II) hexamine sulfate complex. See the article provided by ScienceSquirrel for a synthesis of a related complex (they use ethanol as a solvent). You might also use some anions that stabilize the coordination sphere instead of the sulfate. Also, coordination compounds often need some time to form and grow crystals out of the solution (provided they are not soluble in the solvent used). Fast precipitation is not always a good sign.

Edit: Just found out that hexamine is not "just slightly lower than for ammonia", but it is almost 20 thousand times weaker (its pKa is 5.05 according to this article). So it is practically as basic as pyridine.

[Edited on 29/2/2012 by Nicodem]

Go To Top