Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16
Author: Subject: Det Cap Strategies
Nu0p
Harmless

Mood: Curious, Determined

[*] posted on 19-4-2024 at 17:37

Getting closer. This was half a gram of NAP in a sealed PT100 thermometer body. Hand packed densities. Slowly scaling up the amounts as I am testing my det chamber’s ability to cope with these things as well. So far it’s done well to contain small amounts of shrapnel and deaden the sound to the point that the dogs don’t even react. Next test is 1 gram of NAP.

IMG_2847.jpeg - 5MB
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: old jew

[*] posted on 20-4-2024 at 04:43

Surely it was a detonator ? It looks like woodpecker pecking.....:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite and KC primer (2024)
Nu0p
Harmless

Mood: Curious, Determined

[*] posted on 20-4-2024 at 05:14

I’m not sure what happened there. It’s very interesting.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2024 at 11:00

After many months, I decided to schedule another trip. It's going to be in a month's time, but I am going to prepare my detonators today.

So I was advised to use ground-up melt-cast ETN to mix with the NHN in a 1:1 ratio as the initiator and around 1g of hard pressed ETN, if I can fit that much. I will make 6 caps in total, 3 using ground-up melt-cast ETN and 3 using solid-cast ETN to see if it will work. Do you think a little loose ETN will still be necessary or will the NHN/ETN mixture (only LIGHTLY tamped) will suffice? I wish to use 0.3g of said mixture. I think I will be able to fit a full gram in the cap body, but I don't want to overload it and make sealing it a problem.

I did think about sanding off part of the cap body, but I think that might not be necessary. I think the actual thickness of the steel is 0.5mm. But that is only the 8x50mm. The longer 100mm body is definitely thicker and has a slightly smaller inner diameter, so for those, I will probably need to do some polishing and sanding.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2024 at 21:46

1) My recommend, create 2 pieces 49 mm from 100 mm cavity and without bottom. 2) High density ETN not must be super high density. Hand pressed on 20 Kg is easy achieve without vise or else tools. 3) Mixture grain ETN + powder NHN 1:1 pressed on 1 Kg is enough for initiation described pressed ETN.......:cool:

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite and KC primer (2024)
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-6-2024 at 06:03

I barely did any pressing on the primary. But I think when I inserted the e-match, it might have given the 1 kg as it inserted or, or even less. I wanted that stuff to be as loosely packed as possible. Some of them were overfilled since I put in 0.4g of NHN/ETN mixture, I realize that this might be excessive, and only 0.3g would be sufficient and also give enough room for the fuse/e-match.

Adding the fuse (homemade black powder fuse) and the e-match would have pressed it somewhat, but I am not sure if it is 1kg or not. I really did not want to press the stuff beyond mild tamping, and even then, VERY gently.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-6-2024 at 08:33

If most of the ETN agglomerates are 1x1 to 2x2 mm, a pressure of between 0.5 - 2 Kg can be applied to this primary component (0.15 +0.15 g). There will still be enough air (gaps) left for a quick burn. At using inner diameter of 6 - 8 mm.......:cool:

ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-6-2024 at 14:19

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
If most of the ETN agglomerates are 1x1 to 2x2 mm, a pressure of between 0.5 - 2 Kg can be applied to this primary component (0.15 +0.15 g). There will still be enough air (gaps) left for a quick burn. At using inner diameter of 6 - 8 mm.......:cool:

I applied perhaps a little less pressure than that. But I am very confident that the mixture is quite homogenous. I pressed them into each other and folded them a few times. I could not see any whiteness of the ETN in the mixture, so I am confident that it is properly mixed and did not unmix when I tapped the side of the cap to get them to gently settle. For several caps, that is all I did, little to no pressure applied.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2024 at 14:52

(ugh! My post didn't make it for some reason. I think it is the attachments. This is my third attempt. I am writing it on word in order to not have it lost again!)

OK, so I went out to test out my blasting caps. I made 9 total caps for testing, 6 steel caps, 2 plastic caps, and 1 7mm remington magnum shell with the neck removed (should have kept it in retrospect). All but the 7mm shell had 1g of ETN + 0.3g of ETN/NHN mix (melt-cast and ground ETN). The ETN/NHN was only very lightly tamped and not pressed. The 7mm shell had 4g of ETN + 0.6g of ETN/NHN mix.

3 of the steel caps and 1 of the plastic caps had solid cast ETN in them, this was done via pressing the powder ETN and then placing the cap inside hotwater to melt the ETN before it was carefully removed and allowed to cool down for 30 minutes at least. These caps had inconsistent performace that convince me that making solid-cast ETN to explode is a lot more difficult than I thought. The plastic cap did no damage to the witness plate but it did fully explode. It was the loudest plastic cap I ever detonated.

Another 3 steel caps and 1 plastic cap had melt-cast and ground ETN pressed in them and they performed much, much better. I am convinced that this is the best material to use for blasting caps. The plastic one, however loud it was, didn't even fully detonate all the ETN! I actually had to tip out the ETN from the cap, which I found very strange.

The 7mm remington magnum shell... holy hell. That was intense. I didn't even all the pieces of my witness plate, it was blown to bits. I wonder if this cap would be sufficient to detonate ammonium picrate?

I think I am mostly done testing out caps. I know that LL will tell me that I need to remove the bottoms of the caps and... I agree. I should be doing that and using a little aluminum foil to stop the stuff from coming out and to hold it in place. Real detonators do have a very thin bottom (sometimes as thin as 0.03mm). I think that without much need for testing them they will be superior what I have now.

Plastic-caps - Copy.jpg - 2.4MB7mmbigcap - Copy.jpg - 2.5MB
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2024 at 15:02

The rest of the pics

Melt-cast-steel - Copy.jpg - 2.1MBSoild-cast steel - Copy.jpg - 1.9MBSolid-cast-steel2 - Copy.jpg - 2MB
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-7-2024 at 22:17

Your research confirms my long-held suspicions. That ETNs can be "overprinted". In my experiments, if the ETN was pressed in the vise to the highest possible density (estimated at 50 Kg) there was occasional incomplete detonation or even failure. ETN at high densities creates an insensitive block of matter. For this reason, it is better to press only at 10 Kg. For the output segment.

You described 9 attempt, but on photos are 12 damaged plates. It seem weird.....:cool:

ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2024 at 02:43

Your research confirms my long-held suspicions. That ETNs can be "overprinted". In my experiments, if the ETN was pressed in the vise to the highest possible density (estimated at 50 Kg) there was occasional incomplete detonation or even failure. ETN at high densities creates an insensitive block of matter. For this reason, it is better to press only at 10 Kg. For the output segment.

You described 9 attempt, but on photos are 12 damaged plates. It seem weird.....:cool:

The technical term is 'dead pressed', and perhaps you are right. Perhaps the solid-casting is what is causing that dead pressing issue without actually pressing it since it is at the highest possible density.

I don't use a vise, I always hand press, I tried to use a vise but it was always not good. So what I will do going forward is to give a solid press, but not too hard.

Also I showed some of the plates on the reverse. The solid-cast ones. That's why it looks like there are twelve. :)
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2024 at 03:37

I've been telling you for at least a year: Forget casting......:D

ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2024 at 13:46

I've been telling you for at least a year: Forget casting......:D

OK! I promise, I will never solid-cast any ETN in the container. :) The ones that were melt-cast and ground back up into powder, however, were excellent.

Now I think most experimentation is done. You believe that I pressed too hard on the ETN on the melt-cast and ground up ETN? If that is the case, then I can simply press much softer the next time. I will need to find a better way to file the bottom of the caps. I know steel will work because you use steel caps. The brass cartridges might be better since the metal is much softer already.
 Pages:  1  ..  14    16

Go To Top