Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NPK from incinerated bones
Romix
Hazard to Others (Literally)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 14:11
NPK from incinerated bones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAGBYEvsxEc
Found this in a list of videos that I have liked.
What do you guys think, will all the steps in the video would work in real life?
I'm going to burn small batch of bones with MAPP+, before I'll do a bigger batch, somewhere in a fields away from civilization, bones stink burning.

In a video they're using HCl, I will use HNO3 instead and use Potassium Carbonate instead of Na2CO3 to drop remaining Calcium in solution.
Rainwater
National Hazard

Mood: indisposition to activity

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 17:27

I didn't watch the video. I just read the transcript.
Quote: Originally posted by Romix  
What do you guys think, will all the steps in the video would work in real life?
Its on youtube so it has to be true. j/k

Quote:
In a video they're using HCl, I will use HNO3 instead and use Potassium Carbonate instead of Na2CO3 to drop remaining Calcium in solution.

The intermediate will be calcium nitrate and phosphoric acid. You can distille off any excess HNO3.
Then potassium nitrate, calcium carbonate percipitate, and phosphoric acid.

There may be a good reason to use HCl and not nitric, but google isnt finding much.
I do know that most percipitates formed by ammonia will dissolve in an excess of ammonia, so watch out for that.

Another pointer, cook your potassium carbonate first, to convert any bicarbonate to the carbonate. When percipitating calcium or magnesium carbonates, with bicarbonate. You have to boil the solution to complete the reaction. Carbonates dont require this step. Good luck!

"You can't do that" - challenge accepted
Romix

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 17:59

Quote: Originally posted by Rainwater  
I didn't watch the video. I just read the transcript.
Quote: Originally posted by Romix  
Its on youtube so it has to be true. j/k

Quote:

The intermediate will be calcium nitrate and phosphoric acid. You can distille off any excess HNO3.
Then potassium nitrate, calcium carbonate percipitate, and phosphoric acid.

There may be a good reason to use HCl and not nitric, but google isnt finding much.
I do know that most percipitates formed by ammonia will dissolve in an excess of ammonia, so watch out for that.

Another pointer, cook your potassium carbonate first, to convert any bicarbonate to the carbonate. When percipitating calcium or magnesium carbonates, with bicarbonate. You have to boil the solution to complete the reaction. Carbonates dont require this step. Good luck!

Basically in the video they've dissolved incinerated bones in HCl, producing calcium chloride and Ca(H2PO4)2, then after filtering remainings of bones they've dropped CaHPO4 out of solution with NH4OH and they're saying that CaCl2 reacting with (NH4)2(HPO4) to make more CaHPO4. In the end of the video Calcium precipitated as carbonate out of the excess of CaCl2 in solution with Na2CO3
Romix

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 18:14

I want to make NPK fertilizer, Calcium won't hurt much, but plants don't like much of a Cl- anions. That's why I want to use HNO3.
Might work, might not...
Also all the water used to wash precipitates can be fed to plants.

[Edited on 8-5-2024 by Romix]
Romix

[*] posted on 7-5-2024 at 21:46

Been told, that reactions might even go with weak acetic acid instead of HCl.
Like that Ca3(PO4)2 + 4CH3COOH → Ca(H2PO4)2 + 2Ca(CH3COO)2.

Go To Top