Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Hydrides

DFliyerz - 28-3-2015 at 13:37

Is it possible to make a metal hydride such as sodium or aluminum hydride at home without expensive equipment?

Loptr - 28-3-2015 at 16:34

Hydrogen gas source and molten sodium should produce sodium hydride.

Bert - 28-3-2015 at 18:00

I have seen members do surprising things on shoestring budgets- Not saying it's impossible to make such things in an amateur home lab, but it is not a beginner's project. (Not a beginner who works in their family home and is nervous about living outdoors after hospital release & some new scar tissue, anyhow...)

Quote:

Yes. It should... Perhaps with a bit of energy released? And some interesting side reactions after containment is breached to atmosphere?!

Loptr - 28-3-2015 at 18:14

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Quote:

Yes. It should... Perhaps with a bit of energy released? And some interesting side reactions after containment is breached to atmosphere?!

Well, I didnt provide a procedure, but it is definitely something that should be done under an inert atmosphere and with adequate forethought. Hydrides in general carry a risk of fire on their own, let alone during their formation. Not to mention the hydrogen gas flow...

I think I read on this very forum a user mention storage of potassium hydride in the Southern United States a guaranteed fire.

Also, there was a thread not to long ago about making sodium borohydride starting from sodium by making the hydride and then reacting with methyl borate. I dont know how reliable the poster was, but its worth a forum search.

DFliyerz - 29-3-2015 at 07:49

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Quote:

Well, I didnt provide a procedure, but it is definitely something that should be done under an inert atmosphere and with adequate forethought. Hydrides in general carry a risk of fire on their own, let alone during their formation. Not to mention the hydrogen gas flow...

I think I read on this very forum a user mention storage of potassium hydride in the Southern United States a guaranteed fire.

Also, there was a thread not to long ago about making sodium borohydride starting from sodium by making the hydride and then reacting with methyl borate. I dont know how reliable the poster was, but its worth a forum search.

Yeah, I saw something about that on Wikipedia, and that's sorta what I wanted to make. The methyl borate is the easy part, but it's much harder to make the sodium hydride.

Loptr - 29-3-2015 at 09:23

I would imagine the hydride would be more difficult than the ester.

One of our members has a video on YT about methyl borate.