Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Interpretation of MSDS

gdflp - 26-6-2014 at 08:01

Currently, I'm trying to reproduce a pool chemical, "BioGuard Mineral Springs Renewal" because the price of it is outrageous, $40USD/4lb bag, one bag per week. I found the MSDS online and it lists all of the ingredients with a range of percentages(it doesn't list that the remainder is sodium chloride but I know that from the package). However, some of the percentages range as much as 20% by weight, is this the allowable range, or is this to prevent people from reproducing it?

Attachment: bioguard-mineral-springs-renewal-msds.pdf (53kB)
This file has been downloaded 746 times

Texium - 26-6-2014 at 08:15

Do you have any of the product currently? Maybe you could buy a bag and attempt to analyze it, still save money in the long run. Besides, there might be more ingredients. Those are just the so-called "hazardous components." There may be more than just sodium chloride making up the remainder.

gdflp - 26-6-2014 at 08:20

I already bought a bag and it list the ingredients as sodium bisulfate, sodium chloride, boron salt, organic acid, and aluminum salt.

vmelkon - 26-6-2014 at 13:48

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
However, some of the percentages range as much as 20% by weight, is this the allowable range, or is this to prevent people from reproducing it?

They list ranges usually.
In your case, 15-35% NaHSO4, etc.

I'm not sure why they aren't more precise. Maybe it is a matter of quality control being weak.

Yes, companies just throw together chemicals and add inactive ingredients to bulk it up and add color, make a pretty label and just sell it.

A good example is Windex (pretty blue color) and Draino (pretty green color added to NaOH. Not sure why they add 1% NaCl).

Every clone of Windex also adds the pretty blue color. Some of them add green coloring.

Texium - 26-6-2014 at 15:26

Well I guess if that's the case then you'll probably be fine mixing it with those approximations, and then seeing if it works like it should.