Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Bromine Storage

The Volatile Chemist - 19-5-2014 at 18:10

I've read and heard many stories of the production of bromine. But they all end at the same place. The maker uses some the day they make it, ampule ~5mL or so, and neutralize the rest. Bromine seems useful. Does anybody keep it around?
I do know there are problems with storage. Bromine is volatile, poisonous, and stinks. It cannot be stored in a screw-top bottle. But does anyone keep what they've made and not dump it as soon as the day is done? I would think everyone would "mass ampoule" it, fill up their ampoules with bromine, then whenever they needed it, they could break open a few.
Are there reasons people don't do this?

Mailinmypocket - 19-5-2014 at 18:19

When I make bromine I usually do a larger run and make about 40ml and store it in a glass bottle with a Teflon screw cap. This is then stored in the freezer where it solidifies and causes no problems... When some is needed I just thaw it out, take what I need and back into ice world it goes. The bottle I use has been my bromine storage bottle for at least a year now! At room temperature I can see it being a little more temperamental but frozen? No issues

BromicAcid - 19-5-2014 at 18:22

Lots and lots of threads about this, just searching for a minute the first three with the correct title:

Bromine - Storage and Uses
What do you use to store iodine/bromine?
How to keep elemental bromine?

This forum has been around for >10 years, you'd be amazed how much you can find if you take a few moments to search. Be sure to search through Google though for the best experience by adding

site:sciencemadness.org

After your query.

The Volatile Chemist - 19-5-2014 at 18:24

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Lots and lots of threads about this, just searching for a minute the first three with the correct title:

Bromine - Storage and Uses
What do you use to store iodine/bromine?
How to keep elemental bromine?

This forum has been around for >10 years, you'd be amazed how much you can find if you take a few moments to search. Be sure to search through Google though for the best experience by adding

site:sciencemadness.org

After your query.

Thank you, I apologize.