Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bromine Storage
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 18:10
Bromine Storage

I've read and heard many stories of the production of bromine. But they all end at the same place. The maker uses some the day they make it, ampule ~5mL or so, and neutralize the rest. Bromine seems useful. Does anybody keep it around?
I do know there are problems with storage. Bromine is volatile, poisonous, and stinks. It cannot be stored in a screw-top bottle. But does anyone keep what they've made and not dump it as soon as the day is done? I would think everyone would "mass ampoule" it, fill up their ampoules with bromine, then whenever they needed it, they could break open a few.
Are there reasons people don't do this?

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 18:19

When I make bromine I usually do a larger run and make about 40ml and store it in a glass bottle with a Teflon screw cap. This is then stored in the freezer where it solidifies and causes no problems... When some is needed I just thaw it out, take what I need and back into ice world it goes. The bottle I use has been my bromine storage bottle for at least a year now! At room temperature I can see it being a little more temperamental but frozen? No issues
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 18:22

Lots and lots of threads about this, just searching for a minute the first three with the correct title:

Bromine - Storage and Uses
What do you use to store iodine/bromine?
How to keep elemental bromine?

This forum has been around for >10 years, you'd be amazed how much you can find if you take a few moments to search. Be sure to search through Google though for the best experience by adding

site:sciencemadness.org

After your query.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 18:24

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
Lots and lots of threads about this, just searching for a minute the first three with the correct title:

Bromine - Storage and Uses
What do you use to store iodine/bromine?
How to keep elemental bromine?

This forum has been around for >10 years, you'd be amazed how much you can find if you take a few moments to search. Be sure to search through Google though for the best experience by adding

site:sciencemadness.org

After your query.

Thank you, I apologize.

Go To Top