Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Inside a spent laptop battery

Amos - 22-4-2014 at 09:33

I recently acquired an old, and presumably broken (it was in the trash) Macbook Pro Lithium Ion battery. Being the curious fool that I am, I carefully opened it up to reveal 6 tightly wrapped cells. Upon opening one of the cells I found it was made of a 4 foot long ribbon of what appears to be aluminum foil coated in a dry black residue. Now according to an outside source, the reaction inside a battery of this type are as follows:

LiCoO2 + C ---> Li1-x CoO2+CLix

But seeing as this battery is permanently dead, I was lead to believe the reaction was messed up, possibly leading to the formation of any of the following: Li2O, CoO, and CoO2.

My question for anyone that is more tech/electrochemisty-savvy than me, is whether there are some reactions I can carry out to produce lithium and/or cobalt salts of even a limited purity. As an endnote, I've already immersed some of the ribbon from the battery in water and tried setting it on fire; neither of them caused any kind of reaction, so it is doubtful that any elemental lithium is present.

[Edited on 22-4-2014 by No Tears Only Dreams Now]

elementcollector1 - 22-4-2014 at 09:38

If water resulted in no reaction, Li2O can't be present either, so it is likely to be present as LiCoO2 or either of the products. Not knowing the chemistry of such a curious double salt, I would recommend dissolving in some acid and then adding some base... This might precipitate Co(OH)2.

Brain&Force - 23-4-2014 at 15:06

I highly doubt cobalt dioxide could exist for long. Laptop batteries don't contain lithium metal, either - the technology is different from the Energizer Lithium batteries. I don't know much about lithium-ion or lithium-polymer batteries.

Zyklon-A - 24-4-2014 at 08:12

Yeah, lithium metal batteries are not rechargeable, only lithium ion batteries are.