Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Electrolysis of Potassium/Sodium salt

Manifest - 8-12-2012 at 14:13

Hello, I am looking to make some Potassium Chlorate using electrolysis and I am unable to find any salt that is completely free of Sodium Chloride.

I'm thinking that I could seperate them with different solubilities but then I'd lose alot of it.

Or... I could just make a solution of it without seperating.
Now, I'm thinking that would just make Potassium Chlorate and the sodium chloride would just make chlorine and hydrogen.

Am I wrong? Will the sodium chloride interfere with the electrolysis?

plante1999 - 8-12-2012 at 14:23

This is the wrong section, I have seen people using 55% KCl 45% NaCl without problems. I would be more preoccupied by your anode and cathode tough...

elementcollector1 - 8-12-2012 at 14:42

The potassium chlorate does precipitate out, correct? If that's the case, you shouldn't have much of a problem (the sodium chlorate will just stay in solution).

Manifest - 8-12-2012 at 14:44

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
This is the wrong section, I have seen people using 55% KCl 45% NaCl without problems. I would be more preoccupied by your anode and cathode tough...

What section do you suggest it should be in then?
Maybe 2 Carbon electrodes.
Or copper.

m1tanker78 - 8-12-2012 at 15:01

Graphite/carbon has worked well for me. The anode shreds quite a bit but is easily filtered through clean sand or vac filtered if available.

You're across the pond but around here, I can buy 50 pound bags of pure KCl at a supermarket (intended for water softener). Been a while but don't you need to start with NaCl unless you're using platinum or lead dioxide?? I might be confusing perchlorate but am too lazy to check. Bah!

Tank

Manifest - 8-12-2012 at 15:23

Quote: Originally posted by m1tanker78  
Graphite/carbon has worked well for me. The anode shreds quite a bit but is easily filtered through clean sand or vac filtered if available.

You're across the pond but around here, I can buy 50 pound bags of pure KCl at a supermarket (intended for water softener). Been a while but don't you need to start with NaCl unless you're using platinum or lead dioxide?? I might be confusing perchlorate but am too lazy to check. Bah!

Tank

:? Why not filter paper?
I don't think so. Don't really understand what you mean.

I wonder would Potassium Chlorate and Sugar rockets work as well as the potassium nitrate and sugar ones do.

m1tanker78 - 8-12-2012 at 15:45

Quote: Originally posted by Manifest  
:? Why not filter paper?
I don't think so. Don't really understand what you mean.

Coffee filters will pass some carbon sludge and become clogged. I suppose you can use a commercial buchner funnel paper but if you don't have a vac, be prepared to wait for a long time. Clean sand or quartz or 'silica' can be packed on top of your coffee filters to greatly speed up gravity filtration and prevent the filters from becoming clogged. Doing so yields a perfectly clear filtrate.

UTFSE and read the dozens of picture tutorials out there.

Tank