Sciencemadness Discussion Board

(Somewhat bad) Synthesis of Piperonal

Niklas - 30-9-2024 at 09:08

I reckon piperonal (also commonly referred to as heliotropine) is a compound most of you will probably be familiar with. It is most commonly known for being the precursor to MDA-class drugs, particularly the N-methyl analogue MDMA, on the more legal side it and its derivatives also find lots of use as flavoring ingredients and perfumes though.

IMG_7473.jpeg - 105kB
Fig.1: Structures of piperonal (left), MDA (middle) and MDMA (right)

There are multiple feasible approaches of making it as the amateur, with ozonolysis (or the Lemieux von-Rufloff reaction) of either piperic acid or isosafrol being most commonly employed from what I can see.

IMG_7474.jpeg - 108kB
Fig.2: Oxidative cleavage of piperic acid to piperonal by Lemieux von-Rudloff conditions

This has previously been documented on YouTube by both Chemplayer and Chemdelic, so if you want and overview on that method I recommend checking out their videos regarding that topic [1][2].
This approach unfortunately has one major downside though, of both potential alkene precursors being relatively hard or really expensive to get on scales that compensate for the quite unsatisfactory yield of the following cleavage.

An alternative approach would be the methenylation of protocatechulic aldehyde by the Williamson Ether synthesis, which itself can be made from either vanillin by the action of aluminium chloride and pyridine [3] or from bourbonal by the action of concentrated sulfuric acid, second of those methods generally seeming the most accessible, being previously documented in another thread [4].

IMG_7475.jpeg - 99kB
Fig.3: Synthesis of protocatechulic aldehyde by demethylation of vanillin (left) or deethylation of bourbonal (right)

For the methenylation itself the use of diiodomethane would be ideal, but because of its significantly higher accessibility and lower molecular weight DCM shall be employed. Following [5] on the example of unsubstituted methylenedioxybenzene the use of sodium hydroxide as the base and DMSO as the solvent may be reasonably successful.

IMG_7476.jpeg - 99kB
Fig.4: Proposed synthesis of piperonal by methenylation of protocatechulic aldehyde

To get things started, inside an 100 ml RBF, 9,12 g of sodium hydroxide (0,23 mol) were dissolved in 10 ml of dest. water and cooled back down to room temperature. This was followed by 20 ml of DMSO and left to stirr for a couple of minutes, during which time things turned a uniform slushy consistency (probably due to NaDMSYL precipitating). A Dimroth-condenser was attached and the flask was warmed to 95-100°C with the help of a heating block, resulting in a clear colorless solution.

20240928_132138.jpeg - 520kB 20240928_132635.jpeg - 547kB
Fig.5/6: Slushy of presumably NaDMSYL (left) and eventual clear solution of the base (right)

To this 13,8 g of commercial protocatechulic aldehyde (0,1 mol) were added as a powder, instantly causing the mixture to discolor and eventually take on an almost black color. Heating was continued for 30 more minutes, during which time a separate reflux apparatus containing 12 ml of DCM (0,19 mol) in 30 ml DMSO, heated to 70°C with the help of a glycerol bath, was set up.

20240928_133237.jpeg - 486kB 20240928_140819.jpeg - 793kB
Fig.7/8: Strongly discolored solution of the protocatechulic aldehyde (left) and the apparatus used for the preparation (right)

The hot aldehyde solution was slowly added to the refluxing DCM solution in 4-6 ml portions each with the help of a pipette over the course of 45 minutes, and the reaction flask washed out with 5 more ml of DMSO. On each addition vigorous boiling of the DCM could be perceived, which could only be contained by the use of ice water in the condenser.
The temperature of the glycerol bath was risen to 100-105°C, and heating was continued for approximately 3 hours. To isolate the piperonal a steam destillation of the black mixture was performed until the destillate coming over was fully transparent.

20240928_145804.jpeg - 517kB 20240928_183736.jpeg - 692kB
Fig.9/10: Final reaction mixture after combining the two solutions (left) and performing the steam destillation (right)

In total almost 100 ml of destillate were collected, with lots of product freezing in the condenser. Things were extracted three times with DCM, the pooled extracts were washed with 2 molar sodium hydroxide solution (this took up all the slight yellow color there was) and saturated brine, and dried over sodium sulfate. The solvent was rotovaped off, and a vacuum of 0,3 mbar was pulled on the product to remove any dimethylsulfide present from decomposition of DMSO. This resulted in a small quantity of crystalline off-white solid (0,97 g; 6,46%) with a melting point of around 30-35°C with a clear residual dimethylsulfide smell.

20240929_143102.jpeg - 239kB 20240930_152746.jpeg - 205kB
Fig.11/12: Rotovaping off the DCM (left) and the final crystalline piperonal (right)

Obviously this outcome is far from satisfactory, and there is definitely room for improvement. I‘m not even fully sure where things went wrong this badly, so definitely let me know your suggestions. I‘m personally under the suspicion that there may still be product in the reaction mix that didn’t steam destill over quickly enough, so I‘m probably gonna try further steam destilling the black solution on the weekend.

Besides the yield being absolutely miserable, the presence of an dimethylsulfide contaminant makes the product basically useless for my originally intended purpose of perfumery, so rather then trying to fully purify the already small quantity potentially losing most of it on the way, I decided to perform a Henry reaction with Nitromethane according to Shulgin’s procedure for BOH so I at least end up with some nice colorful crystals [6].

IMG_7485.jpeg - 121kB
Fig.13: Synthesis of 3,4-(methylenedioxy)-beta-nitrostyrene by Henry condensation of piperonal and nitromethane

In addition to the piperonal made in the previous procedure a small quantity of an old commercial sample was added to add up to 1,5 g of starting material (10 mmol). This was dissolved in 5 ml of glacial acetic acid by swirling the flask and set in a heating block on a magnetic stirrer. To this 292,2 ul of ethylene diamine (4,37 mmol) was added with the help of an eppendorf pipette, followed by 1 ml of nitromethane (18,46 mmol), instantly causing the colorless mixture to take on a yellow color.

20240827_155514.jpeg - 431kB 20240827_160851.jpeg - 312kB
Fig.14/15: Solution of the piperonal in GAA (left) and the reaction mixture after addition of the nitromethane (right)

Stirring was turned on and things were heated to 100°C for 45 minutes, during which time some yellow needles of product started precipitating. The suspension was cooled in the fridge, and the solid was removed by vacuum filtration and washed with a little dest. water.

20240827_162511.jpeg - 578kB 20240827_171551.jpeg - 378kB
Fig.16/17: First precipitation of product (left) and the reaction mixture after cooling in the fridge (right)

For further purification the product was recrystallized from 1-propanol, resulting in some gorgeous thin yellow needles of 3,4-(methylenedioxy)-beta-nitrostyrene (1,34 g; 69,44%).

20240827_192748.jpeg - 573kB 20240827_192854.jpeg - 489kB
Fig.18/19: The air dried product (left) and its crystals under the microscope (right)

Sources:
[1] https://youtu.be/FjVVX_uASms?si=n0AG51hO9kl3eL6p
[2] https://youtu.be/thWbD1FO2iw?si=n5C4GA6eqfMpwTRx
[3] https://patents.google.com/patent/CN102241575B/en
[4] https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=15...
[5] https://www.erowid.org/archive/rhodium/chemistry/methylenati...
[6] Shulgin A., Shulgin A. (1991). PiHKAL. BOH; ß-METHOXY-3,4-METHYLENEDIOXYPHENYLETHYLAMINE. p.496

clearly_not_atara - 30-9-2024 at 11:25

I think it looks pretty nice.

I think you get the oxime or the nitrile or something if you reduce the nitrostyrene with CrCl2.

jackchem2001 - 30-9-2024 at 15:23

DCM is said to act poorly as an alkylating agent due to an anomeric-type effect of its most favorable conformation. Perhaps some catalytic iodide in the reaction would help.
In the same vain, diiodomethane could be accessed using DCM in a solvent which dissolves the iodide salt (e.g. NaI in EtOH or acetone) but not the chloride. It is also higher boiling which again could help.

Alternatively, perhaps the acetal could be formed with formaldehyde.

Niklas - 30-9-2024 at 21:37

Quote: Originally posted by jackchem2001  
DCM is said to act poorly as an alkylating agent due to an anomeric-type effect of its most favorable conformation. Perhaps some catalytic iodide in the reaction would help.

Seems like a good idea, with DMSO already being the solvent there shouldn’t be much else to change up besides adding a little potassium iodide to the DCM solution. Will definitely try that out.

Boffis - 1-10-2024 at 21:01

Hi Niklas, another nice write-up! Its good to see some real chemistry still being done.

I have often wonder if it would be better to start from catechol --> methylenedioxybenzene --> piperonal.

With catechol there are fewer functional groups o worry about and there are many formylation methods then available to choose from.

Niklas - 2-10-2024 at 07:25

Thanks Boffis!
I’ve thought about that as well, tho I never came to a conclusion that fully satisfied me. Most of the really good OTC formylation approaches (particularly Duff reaction) are unfortunately ortho-directing, and the alternative of doing a two-step approach via the Blanc-reaction followed by Kornblum-oxidation (something similar should be documented on Erowid iirc), comes with the significant downside of forming highly carcinogenic BCME as a byproduct in the first step..

IMG_7515.jpeg - 123kB

Additionally I‘m really not sure about the accessibility of catechol for the average amateur. I know it is occasionally found in oxygen absorption packs, but I feel like that’s a really expensive way of getting a reagent..

Like sure, I could personally use my catechol bought at Sigma and formylate that with my TCT / DMF purchased from TCI, but that feels like defeating the purpose of publishing it here.

yobbo II - 3-10-2024 at 13:22

Catechol can be had in the Agri. store sometimes.
It is used for testing spuds.

https://cropwatch.unl.edu/potato/bruise_testing

Yob

clearly_not_atara - 3-10-2024 at 14:18

Glyoxylic acid is an interesting possibility. It is an extra step.

Alkyl glyoxylates are occasionally reported to undergo basically the same reaction. My hypothesis is that making them from dialkyl tartrates might be easier than making glyoxylic acid from tartrate + periodate, because the resulting mixture of salts is very hard to separate and makes that method harder (glyoxylate and iodate have similar solubility). Periodate can also work for the ester cleavage step, which is nice.

So the reaction of an alkyl glyoxylate with benzodioxole is the idea I'm most interested in working with benzodioxole. You could degrade the methylenedioxymandelic ester in the usual fashion or possibly do something creative.

EDIT: Gathergood et al show ethyl glyoxylate reacting with various anilines and with 2-methylfuran, although they didn't give a yield for the reaction with dimethylresorcinol (so it probably didn't work). But their catalyst was Cu(OTf)2, which is a relatively weak Lewis acid, so I think there's a good chance that it works with a stronger catalyst or a Brønsted acid.

Jurczak et al show ethyl glyoxylate reacting with various toluenes using AlCl3 or SnCl4 as a catalyst. Still no anisoles. But if it works with both toluene and phenol, anisole seems extremely likely, with the right catalyst. My hunch is that ZnCl2 would be good.

Attachment: gathergood2000.pdf (184kB)
This file has been downloaded 51 times

Attachment: jurczak2008.pdf (143kB)
This file has been downloaded 46 times

[Edited on 3-10-2024 by clearly_not_atara]

Boffis - 4-10-2024 at 09:29

@ clearly_not_atara; What's wrong with a reaction analogous to the guaiacol + glyoxalic acid route to vanillin? The only issue I see is that in this reaction aqueous alkali is used in which both reactants are soluble. Where as the methylene-dioxybenzene ether will not be. But cold say methanol be used as the solvent? Rather than using the less accessible glyoxalate ester.

@ Random; what are you on?

clearly_not_atara - 4-10-2024 at 10:44

Boffis: Unlike guaiacol, benzodioxole does not form a phenolate, so it does not react spontaneously without an acid catalyst. Alkali catalysis is not available on benzodioxole. But with acid catalyst, usually some sticky crap is produced. I have heard that conc. H2SO4 at 0 C is a good system, but this reagent is restricted now, and dehydrating sulfuric acid is unpleasant.

So the idea was to use things which are more soluble in np, allowing the product mandelate ester to be extracted from the rxn mixture. This might be a less "sticky gunk" situation.

Also, Waffles SS said that the oxidation of tartaric acid with periodate was too much of a pain, and he preferred to use nitric acid and glyoxal instead:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=77...

So here once again the production of the ester from dialkyl tartrate might be better, even though diethyl tartrate has a poor aqueous solubility. It is nice to have fewer steps, but if you replace messy rxns with a few clean ones, that could be a bigger advantage, maybe.

EDIT: or the mandelic ester might be converted to the amide directly (slow) and subjected to the Weerman degradation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weerman_degradation

EDIT2: Fellinger et al describe the ester ammonolysis of ethyl benzoate, a reasonably hydrophobic model compound. Ammonium benzoate is a preferred catalyst. But the paper used a stoichiometric amount of anhydrous ammonia in an ampoule, which is a bit unlike the more common practice of using an excess of aqueous or alcoholic ammonia. Rxn time is about 400 hours for 75% conversion, which is obviously a little annoying.

[Edited on 5-10-2024 by clearly_not_atara]

Attachment: fellinger1938.pdf (298kB)
This file has been downloaded 31 times

Niklas - 5-10-2024 at 22:55

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  
Glyoxylic acid is an interesting possibility. It is an extra step.

I totally didn’t think of that, I remember seeing this method being used to make 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde a while back.
Definitely sounds promising with the right catalyst used.

Niklas - 6-10-2024 at 11:25

Quote: Originally posted by Random  

Synthesis of 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde is still how I could say, subject to discussion.

I say that because there were various attempts at synthesizing it and also according to my personal memory it is not that easy to separate it from other isomer. Is isomer how we call that.
[Edited on 6-10-2024 by Random]

This paper makes it seem pretty viable
“The condensation of phenols with glyoxylic acid is known to be very specific for the formation of para isomer and generally ortho isomer is absent.“
https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.280360107

In any case the properties of 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde and salicylaldehyde should be fairly different, my guess would be that the unwanted ortho isomer could easily be removed by steam destillation.

Niklas - 6-10-2024 at 11:44

On a different point, something that just came to my head.
I now think the main issue with the piperonal synthesis probably is the use of NaDMSYL and hydroxide as the base, which may cause the aldehyde to disproportionate in a Cannizzaro like fashion.

So by using much weaker potassium carbonate instead, which shouldn’t impact the reactivity all that much considering the acidic nature of the phenol hydrogens, this may result in a significant improvement of yield.

clearly_not_atara - 6-10-2024 at 22:09

Quote: Originally posted by Niklas  
On a different point, something that just came to my head.
I now think the main issue with the piperonal synthesis probably is the use of NaDMSYL and hydroxide as the base, which may cause the aldehyde to disproportionate in a Cannizzaro like fashion.

So by using much weaker potassium carbonate instead, which shouldn’t impact the reactivity all that much considering the acidic nature of the phenol hydrogens, this may result in a significant improvement of yield.

This is correct; in the original Bonthrone and Cornforth, the methylenation of protocatechualdehyde with hydroxide base gave a poor yield, but when the rxn was later attempted in a forensic chemistry (lol) journal with K2CO3, the yield was around 80%.

The difficulty with K2CO3 is finding an appropriate solvent. NMP is a better solvent for potassium carbonate than are DMF or DMSO, and this is what the researchers were using. IIRC, K3PO4 has a better solubility in more common solvents. Beitia et al describe its use in DMF at 100 C, in DMSO at 80 C, and in glycol ether solvents.

Attachment: k3po4_beitia2011.pdf (79kB)
This file has been downloaded 84 times

Attachment: gallagher2012.pdf (1MB)
This file has been downloaded 48 times

Niklas - 7-10-2024 at 13:48

Quote: Originally posted by clearly_not_atara  

The difficulty with K2CO3 is finding an appropriate solvent. NMP is a better solvent for potassium carbonate than are DMF or DMSO, and this is what the researchers were using. IIRC, K3PO4 has a better solubility in more common solvents. Beitia et al describe its use in DMF at 100 C, in DMSO at 80 C, and in glycol ether solvents.

Somehow didn’t came across this paper, definitely some useful information right there.

It got me thinking about something I remember seeing in PHiKAL a lot..
What do you think of possibly using acetone as the solvent with some kind of quaternary ammonium phase-transfer catalyst added? I think I still have some hexadecyltrimethylammonium bromide around I could test this with. I‘ve never seen it being utilized this way before, but maybe benzalkonium chloride could act as an more generally accessible alternative as well.

Not that getting them is too difficult for me, I just really don’t like working with the common solvents you mentioned because of their difficulty of fully being removed from the product. Not that it’s impossible, but it’s definitely a pain compared to a high volatility solvent like acetone. (Admittedly, this may just be me being biased to some extent because of my previous work with polymers, but anyway xd)

getting back your piperonal

sykronizer - 7-10-2024 at 20:55

you might find that sodium metabisulphite (brewing sterilizer) is excellent at recovering these aldehydes as opposed to a lengthy steam distillation. Once recovered, you could extract any unreacted di-hydroxy-aldehyde with a weak solution of sodium hydroxide.

clearly_not_atara - 8-10-2024 at 19:21

Quote: Originally posted by Niklas  

Somehow didn’t came across this paper, definitely some useful information right there.

It got me thinking about something I remember seeing in PHiKAL a lot..
What do you think of possibly using acetone as the solvent with some kind of quaternary ammonium phase-transfer catalyst added? I think I still have some hexadecyltrimethylammonium bromide around I could test this with. I‘ve never seen it being utilized this way before, but maybe benzalkonium chloride could act as an more generally accessible alternative as well.

Not that getting them is too difficult for me, I just really don’t like working with the common solvents you mentioned because of their difficulty of fully being removed from the product. Not that it’s impossible, but it’s definitely a pain compared to a high volatility solvent like acetone. (Admittedly, this may just be me being biased to some extent because of my previous work with polymers, but anyway xd)

It could work. I think that K2CO3 would probably be better for this, since an aqueous solution of it will contain fewer hydroxide ions.

Another possibility is 1,1-diethoxyethane, which might be a less carcinogenic alternative to the glycol ethers. I admit I'm basically guessing that the properties are similar, but the molecules do look a lot alike. This is produced by the anodic oxidation of ethanol using a quaternary ammonium chloride electrolyte, which you happen to have. See attached.

Attachment: Li2021.pdf (680kB)
This file has been downloaded 47 times