Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Triethanolamine trinitrate
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 04:56
Triethanolamine trinitrate

I have read somewhere that it can be made by nitrating triethanolamine in a solution in dichloromethane. But I couldn't find any other information about it. Does anyone know something about it?

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 05:16

Maybe because it yields a tetranitrate? Three as esters and one as amine salt...
(HO-CH2-CH2-)3N + 4HONO2 --> (O2N-O-CH2-CH2-)3N.HNO3

It is indeed a known compound.

[Edited on 6-2-2008 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 11:19

Thank you.

Does someone know how sensitive and toxic it is?

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-2-2008 at 14:44

Toxocity could be very high. Triethanolamine itself is relatively non-toxic (it even is used in some cosmetics), but when the -OH groups are substituted, some amazingly toxic compounds are formed. E.g., when the -OH groups are replaced by Cl-atoms, then the nitrogen mustard gas "HN3' is formed, which is EXTREMELY toxic. Some nitrate esters of similar structure also are known to be exceptionally toxic, I'm not sure about this particular one though. But I definitely would do quite some research before attempting to make it.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2008 at 04:01

Must be close to the sensitivity of trimethylamine nitrate and ethyl nitrate ester.
So sensitive but not extremely. I will check precise data in my book tonight.
On the other hand it must be relatively unstable on a chemical level because the acid bonded to the nitrogen makes the salt instrinsically acidic...nitrate esters are unstable in the time in such conditions. Addition of a base (NaHCO3) will neutralise the acid part, but then you get a very basic nitrogen that can also favourise hydrolyse of the nitric ester.

Stability in the time is thus an issue and must be carried out with neutral NOx catchers...like urea or diphenylamine...

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-2-2008 at 07:11

Damn this forum doesn't support tables structures...like Excel :( I wasn't able to find the upload button to join this document...so sorry... it is represented as a collumn :(

By watching at the following table you might get a good feeling of the stuff properties....I haven't found yet the proper datas although I know I have it somewhere...

Anyway,
You see that ethanolamine dinitrate is listed in...it is the first member of the ethanolamine nitrate familly.

Density of TEATeN must be: 1.5-1.65 g/ccm
LBT (lead block test) must be: 390-420 ccm/10g
Deflagration T° must be: 180-220°C
Melting point: 60-150°C
VOD: 6500-7500 m/s @max density
Impact sensitivity: 5-15 N/m

Compound
d (g/ccm)
LBT (ccm/10g)
Defl T°(°C)
MP (°C)
VOD(m/s)@d
Impact Sens (N/m)

O2N-O-CH2-CH2-NH2.HNO3
?
?

CH3-C(CH2-ONO2)3
?
?

C2H5-C(CH2-ONO2)3
?
6440 @ 1.48
?

O(CH2-CH2-ONO2)2
2(stable form) and -10.9(unstable xtal form)
6600 @ 1.38

O2N-N(CH2-CH2-ONO2)2
?
?
7580 @ 1.47

CH3-NH2.HNO3
?
?
?

H2N-CH2-CH2-NH2.2HNO3
?
6800 @ 1.53

(References Rudolf Meyer: Explosives 4th edition)

[Edited on 10-2-2008 by PHILOU Zrealone]

[Edited on 10-2-2008 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2008 at 09:03

http://mihailru.freeservers.com/shopping_page.html

The above link lists diethanolamine trinitrate: VOD= 7000 m/s @ 1.55g/ccm what fits in the previously posted list of explosive/properties.

They also list monoethanolamine dinitrate VOD=7900 m/s @1.59g/ccm what sounds a little too high density en VOD, but maybe is this due to a different cristaline form...

[Edited on 12-2-2008 by PHILOU Zrealone]

[Edited on 12-2-2008 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

Zinc
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-3-2008 at 15:51

A little OT but can any energetic materials be synthesized from diethylamine?

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 11-8-2011 at 12:14

Some caution may be in order, if preparing triethanolamine trinitrate. The molecule has disturbing similarities to a "nitrogen mustard gas".
Tris(2-chloroethyl)amine, with the structure
N(CH2CH2Cl)3, is a deadly alkylating agent.

The alkylating power supposedly comes from the ability of the chlorine atom to ionize off (in a small equilibrium), leaving a highly strained triangular aziridine ring, with a positive charge on the nitrogen atom. This reactive ring can then alkylate strands of DNA. Such molecules with two alkylating groups are much more deadly, and it is thought that this is due to cross linking together two strands of DNA.

If the nitrate group can ionize off in a similar way to the chlorine atom in nitrogen mustard gas, triethanolamine trinitrate may likely be quite toxic.

On the other hand, the biphosphate salt of triethanolamine trinitrate has been investigated for medical use in treating heart pain, under the label "Metamine", and so one would thus be inclined to think that the nitrate derivitive does not show significant toxicity.

[Edited on 11-8-2011 by AndersHoveland]

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying lets remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Go To Top