Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hand Soap + 91% IPA = Heat
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 05:20
Hand Soap + 91% IPA = Heat

I had some resin on my hand that ordinary foaming hand soap would not remove. So, I poured some 91% IPA on my soapy hands. The suds dissipated and I noticed a slight increase in temperature. I am a noob and I have no idea what would have reacted to generate heat in this situation. There is just so many ingredients, here is a list:

FullSizeRender.jpg - 200kB

[Edited on 11-10-2015 by Detonationology]

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 08:58

I don't think it has anything to do with the soap. I think it has to do with the heat of mixing of the iPrOH and the water on your hands.

A simple (and educational) experiment would be to mix some water and iPrOH and water in an insulated cup with a thermometer or thermocouple and observe.

Better would be to mix several by weight, calculate the mole fraction of iPrOH and see if observation agrees with the literature.

See: http://www.ddbst.com/en/EED/HE/HE%202-Propanol%3BWater.php

O3

[Edited on 10-11-2015 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
Detonationology
Hazard to Others

Mood: Electrophillic

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 09:08

Interesting. I was under the impression that only compounds that form ions would absorb or release heat upon dissociation. What reaction is taking place between isopropyl alcohol and water?

“There are no differences but differences of degree between different degrees of difference and no difference.” ― William James
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 10-11-2015 at 10:13

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd imagine that the iPrOH molecules are stabilized into a lower energy state once caged with water molecules. The difference in energy would be measurable as heat. No dissociation of R-OH would be evident at this pH (depends on the soap, but likely weakly alkaline--need a strong base for that, preferably non-aqueous).

See: http://sites.chem.colostate.edu/diverdi/C477/experiments/iso...

O3

[Edited on 10-11-2015 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein

Go To Top