Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: crystals from multipul species
MNXR250R
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-8-2015 at 20:02
crystals from multipul species

This post is related to salts and crystal developemt. ( Specifically a mixture of NaCl, NaClO3 and NaClO4).

My first post. If this this has been addressed before I appologize. The fact is that I do not know how to ask these question to the Google since I am not formally educated in chemistry. I have facination with it for sure.

I will the questions straight away.

Can two, three or more salt molecules that have the same cation, form into a single crystal ?

I witnessed a beautiful developemt of a single crystal from a solution that came from an electrolosys experiment of NaCl.

The solution from my electrolosis experiment was boiled to reduce the water content. A solid preciptated. This solid was very fine grained, and impossible to tell what the crystal structure was.

From this mixture, I decanted a small amount of the liquid. I boiled this liquid again and allowed it to sit overnight.

When I looked at it the following morning, one single crystal had delevoped. As far as I could tell, there were no other precipitates in the solution. The crystal appeared to be a square tube ? ( not sure how to describe).

Since then I have toyed with this solution and have seen several different result. I am assuming the the crystal developemt depents a lot of the original concentration of the solution. Prehaps the "single crystal" was just lucky.

Thanks for your input

Go To Top