Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Inexpensive Distillation Equipment
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 09:54
Inexpensive Distillation Equipment

I have a hot plate with a rest for a boiling flask already, but where could I get the rest of the required equipment such as a boiling flask, condenser, the required tubing, etc. for under $75?
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 10:03

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/distillation-kit

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 10:05

I've ordered from these guys a few times and have been very impressed. Even delicate items like the high efficiency reflux condensers are well built and have never failed me. Once they sent me a 90 degree takeoff adapter when I was supposed to get a vacuum take off adapter. No problem! They sent me the proper item and let me keep the other one.

http://www.laboyglass.com
DFliyerz
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 10:10

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/distillation-kit

Some of those kits with the clips to hold the parts together look like they'd be ideal and inexpensive. Can they support their own weight, or would I have to buy some equipment to hold them up?
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 10:20

Keck clips are not intended to support weight, only to keep joints together. Sometimes you can support a very small flask on the end of a condenser with one but for anything remotely heavy you would want a couple clamps and stands
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 10:33

You need supports to use those safely- Stands, rods, clamps.

Go read up on the operation before ordering- This saves on equipment replacement costs, ER visits, legal expenses...

image.jpg - 78kB

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 17:44

Thanks for the laughs everyone. You can get self supporting hillbilly stills too.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 20:18

My distillation condenser is a two foot liebig that I jury-rigged out of a broken burette, some plastic hose and some epoxy putty. I haven't put it through its paces yet but it operated well for reflux. It's a stand-in for until I have the bucks to afford a proper rig. (Or more likely until I break it and decide I really can't do without it.)
My stand is some concrete reinforcing mesh that I have installed on the bench in my shed. It cost nearly nothing. I did buy some proper boss head clamps, some retort rings and some three finger clamps. I wouldn't recommend skimping here. Having stuff stay where you want it reliably is a real bonus.

Go To Top