Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: acetaldehyde dehydration to acetylene
xxxxx
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 11:16
acetaldehyde dehydration to acetylene

i was doing some calculations and it turns out that the dehydration of acetaldehyde to acetylene is much less endothemic and occurs at a lower temperature that the pyrollisis of hydrocarbons or the production of calcium carbide. there are two us patents regarding the production and purification of acetylene from acetaldehyde (us 2,377,025 and us 1,938,991) and yet the process is not used commercially, as far as i know. maybe someone could explain why this is.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-12-2005 at 15:06

The patents you refered have nothing to do with the production of acetylene from acetaldehyde. As far as I know there is no one step organic reaction able to dehydrate an aldehyde to an alkyne. Even if a suitable reaction would exist, such a process would be an economical nonsense while the reverse reaction, the production of acetaldehyde from acetylene might be (or might have been) profitable.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top