Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Palladium chloride toxicity
transformer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 17:33
Palladium chloride toxicity

According to the MSDS, Palladium(II)chloride is labled as T+ (extremeley toxic) perhaps this rating comes from the dangers that arise when a person would inhale palladium chloride dust.

For photography this compound seems to come in solution mostly, but what special precautions would chemists (or photographers) need to take when handling PdCl2?

The msds sure makes palladium chloride look like it is as dangerous as mercury chloride or potassium cyanide.

According to wikipedia the compound palladium chloride was at one time prescribed as a tuberculosis treatment at the rate of 0.065g per day (approximately one milligram per kilogram of body weight). This treatment did not have many negative side effects, but was later replaced by more effective drugs.

So atleast it does not seem like an accumulative poison.

[Edited on 27-9-2005 by samsung]

Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 18:51

When I started making alkyl halides to use as alkylating agents I was scared due to MSDS propaganda. It gave me placebo effects I thought I had been poisoned and about to die in cancer. They exaggarate the riscs, I meen chloroform is skull-marked, but who hasn't been inhaling it to a stupor a couple of times.

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 26-9-2005 at 20:28

I agree it is difficult to tell how much caution and protection to use after reading an MSDS on some compound for which you have no familiarity. I think this is where a lot of laboratory experience helps. After taking general, organic, quant, qual, and physical chemistry courses one accumulates a fair amount of laboratory time with a wide range of chemicals. I have yet to feel that I have suffered any ill health effects from my academic lab experiments. Nor have I heard that any of my fellow students have suffered. However, I did have to go out for some fresh air one time after too much ether, methylene chloride, or whatever. I just got light headed.

It seemed like the lab instructors never got too excited about inhaling anything unless it was H2S, lachrymators, Br2, or chlorsulfonic acid, and then they just told us to pour the reagent in the hood. I've even seen a PhD instructor pouring sulfonyl chloride outside the hood, which I thought a bit foolish.

Of course all academic experiments are tried and true and have been heavily reviewed for safety. We mad scientitst don't have benefit of a heavy review except thru the auspices of this forum.

I think it is always wise to minimize your exposure to chemicals that an MSDS warns you about. But I also think some common sense and a lot of lab experience help temper one's reaction to the MSDS.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-9-2005 at 04:54

I have experience with palladium chloride as a photographer and I do not take any other precautions than I take for general other chemicals. So, I try not to touch it and if I work with finely powdered stuff, I use a dust mask, but certainly no gas mask or other more extreme things. I'm quite sure that HgCl2 is way more toxic and dangerous than PdCl2.

In fact, in photography, Pd-salts are regarded a fairly safe alternative for platinum-salts. The latter are more dangerous, because of possible sensitization and development of strong allergic reactions.

So, I think that the MSDS is strongly exaggerated. Just use common sense and normal/standard lab-practice.

[Edited on 27-9-2005 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top